Fortnite Is So Addicting To College Students At K-State

"Simply the biggest reason is that it is free."

103
Instagram

Fortnite is a co-op sandbox survival video game that has exploded into over 3.4 million players worldwide. It is a free downloadable game on almost any game console. The popularity of Fortnite has taken over the students of Kansas State University. Causing many people to play it here, on our own campus.

The popularity of Fortnite may be due to the fact that it is free. Or it could be because of its unique game style and the challenge that it brings to people’s everyday life. It could just be so addicting that it keeps bringing you back. Or it is also just a way to bring people and friends closer together. All the above are true for as to why the game is so popular.

Glenn Kinley, a freshman here at Kansas State, elaborated on the game’s popularity. “I think most people like it because of its unique game style compared to Call of Duty and lots of other games. It is something different that to me is challenging and addicting.” Glenn continued, “It’s also fun to play it with multiple friends so that helps.”

Glenn went on to explain as to how he got into the game, “For me, I started playing when a couple friends suggested it to my roommate and I. So we got it and tried it out and ended up really liking it and thinking it was a lot of fun.”

The game is very "challenging and addicting." Jacob Dewey, also a student at Kansas State, explained why he believes that the game is so addictive. “It’s intense! You can play with your friends and it takes a lot of strategy. When you lose it makes you want to play again.”

Even for those who do not play the game can see why it is so popular. Alfredo Leon, a freshman at Kansas State that does not play Fortnite, explained why he believes that the game has exploded like it has. “Simply the biggest reason is that it is free. In the game industry, it is unheard of for a game of that content to be free. Also typically with video games once a game gets popular it explodes into a trend like it has.”

He then went on to say, “I do not play the game simply because I do not like hopping on trends late. I hate feeling behind in it because it almost ruins the fun out of it for me because I'm so far behind everyone else that plays.”

A lot of people find the game fun because they can play it online with their friends. It can be a reason to bring friends closer together by taking on the challenges of the game together. Jacob Dewey finds this aspect of the game to be very true. He said, “Well my friends and I get a lot angrier with each other but it is all fun and games. On a serious note, we get to talk to each other in cases where we normally would not keep in contact that well.”