For the Quiet Ones Who Have So Much to Say

Just because I do not speak does not mean I have nothing to say.

29
Isabel Bosley-Smith

Just because I do not speak does not mean I have nothing to say. There are days when being a shoulder to cry on or being the company for the lonely speaks louder than any small words. There are people who show who they are by their words. You will see who I am in my actions. Words are beautiful, and when used correctly, they can paint you a story, but actions are the brush I choose.

Growing up, I was always the girl to sit and hear everyone else talk before I shared my opinion. At first, this was because I was painfully shy, but then I realized that in the silence there are lessons to be learned. Some may say that this is middle child syndrome, and while I am a middle child, please do not mistake my quietness for passivity. I have always been quiet. This is not because I value my words any less than others. It is because I have found that words are not always needed.

The first time I was called out for not being the loudest voice in the room, I let it label me. I let them tell me that I was too shy; too introverted. Since then, I have learned to find value in my silence. In my silence there is space for other people in my life to tell their stories. I am able to be a shelter for their stories. Those who know me know that I am always willing to listen, willing to listen to both their worries and their joys.

If you wait for my words to surface, they will come out and I will tell you of the adventures that have built me. I will tell you all of this, but I won’t apologize for not speaking sooner. Please trust that I have chosen my words carefully, and they are the ones that need to be spoken. Those are the words that I have spent time going over in my head. They are the ones that will paint the picture I have dreamed up. My other identifiers will be hidden in my smile, or the way that I greet you and ask, “How are you?” and mean it.

If you are someone who has been given this label, I ask you to turn this into the gift that it is. If words are not how you choose to show the world who you are, then please do not change just so that you can stand out. You will be noticed for your quiet grace. When others ask “Why are you so quiet?” understand that they want to know you. If they want to know you, show them who you are. But please remember that your quiet demeanor is not a flaw; it is only one characteristic of who you are, and it is glorious.

Do not be afraid to let others experience your silence. Allow them to know what it means.