For The Incoming Freshman

For The Incoming Freshman

10 Tips to surviving your first year of college.

4
For The Incoming Freshman
Alli Collins

About a year ago, I was freaking out. I was getting ready for a new chapter in my life and I couldn't have been more excited and scared at the same time. Going to college is something I've always wanted to do and last year, I finally had my chance. I was like most college freshman, fresh out of high school and ready to move on to bigger and better things. While I was scared and nervous, I was more than ready to start college. During my freshman year, I learned a lot of things about myself and what college was really like. To successfully make it through your first year of college, here are ten important things to know:

1. Don't Give Up!

College is going to be tough and totally different from high school. It is a total 180 spin on how you used to live your life and it is going to be a challenge. Try to enter college with an open mind and be prepared to step out of your comfort zone. The challenge that you're going to face is going to stress you out to the max, and all you need to know is that it will get better. Don't give up, it will get easier.

2. Set Your Priorities!

If you want to make it through your first year without failing every class, set your priorities. Understand that you have a schedule to follow, and you shouldn't spend all your time partying and going crazy. College is a test of maturity and in order to succeed, you need to realize that the "college" part comes first. Study and prepare yourself for class, and then go hang out and have fun. You're at college for a reason and while it is important to have fun, make sure you are at least passing your glasses.

3. You're Going To Get A Wake Up Call!

Your parents and friends aren't always going to be with you, so wake up. You're an "adult" now, and you need to start doing things on your own. You're going to have to wake up by yourself, get ready for class and/or work, and make sure that you're doing what you need to. You are on your own and whether you like it or not, you have to grow up and wake up.

4. Ask Questions!

If you're shy and scared like me, you hate asking questions to people you aren't comfortable with. However for college you need to ask questions. Whether it's the location of the class, information about a homework assignment, or anything about college itself, go ahead and ask someone. Asking questions will help you understand and figure out college better than just winging it.

5. Make The Most Out Of Your First Year!

You are only going to experience this once, make the most of it! Enjoy the campus activities, get involved and make sure that you're having fun. Go do whatever you want and enjoy the freedom that you acquire as a freshman. Remember your priorities, but make your freshman year as fun as you can.

6. Be Social!

No matter if you had millions of friends in high school, or only a few, you're going to meet new and different people. Talk to people in your classes, or people that you see around campus and be social. You will learn new and different things and by being social, you're going to benefit so much from them.

7. Save Your Money!

If you think that you're not going to ever leave your room, and that you're just going to eat at the dining hall, think again. Even though you'll want to buy all of the school t-shirts, hoodies and hats, don't go crazy: save your money. I'm not saying don't buy anything at all, but at least monitor your spending. Save your money up and make sure that you're not poor at the end of the first year.

8. The Freshman 15 Is Real!

Unless you're an athlete, more than likely you're going to gain some weight. Your sleep schedule is going to be off, you're going to be snacking more than normal, and all of the crazy stress going on is going to cause you to gain some weight, also known as the freshman 15. It will be okay though, at one point you'll either go to the gym, or accept the fact that you need to buy new jeans.

9. Don't Worry About Love!

Unless you're in a relationship already and you're committed to it fully, don't worry about finding love in the first few months. You are going to meet so many people, and be in a totally different setting, and it's not a good idea to rush into something. Explore your new environment and have fun.

And last but not least:

10. College Is NOTHING Like High School!

Besides the drama, entertainment and crazy parties, college is nothing like high school. You are on your own now and you need to be prepared. There is no way to explain it 100 percent, but hopefully these 10 tips will help you make your first year fun and enjoyable.

Make your first year an unforgettable experience and most importantly, have fun!