For the Five Percent

For the Five Percent

Thank you

15
For the Five Percent
Huff Post

It is 11:26 p.m. on July 1, 2016. I lay awake with pure contentment and gratification. I get slightly dizzy and feel somewhat hypnotized as I stare at my ceiling fan spin in monotonous circles. I feel my aching muscles scream for sleep and rejuvenation. I hear my family downstairs converse with an old family friend and I smell the distinct aroma of our up north cabin. It smells like pine needles. I am simply upstairs in my room writing yet another article. It is due at 12 p.m. tomorrow and I probably should get it done now. The truth is, I never have an idea of what I want to write about until hours before the due date. I pull out my laptop, find a comfortable position on the couch, and begin brainstorming. Most of the time I have ridiculous ideas pop into my head, but I quickly reject the thought of them. I do not want to disappoint my readers. I often think, what would they want to read about?

The truth is, I still am not accustomed to sharing my writing on social media. I write for enjoyment. I simply write to express my current state of mind and to leave every single drowning thought on paper instead of circulating through my mind. But these weekly articles have caused me to think differently. It’s not about me anymore. How will my writing affect other people? That is the entire goal here. You may think writing weekly articles is a bit excessive—and I thought so too at first—but it has allowed me to become less selfish in my writing. I began to realize how this opportunity, and somewhat job, is also an obligation to others. It is a commitment that I don't take lightly.

I can guarantee that 95 percent of my Twitter and Facebook followers will not read this article. They will roll their eyes, get angered by seeing yet another girl writing for The Odyssey, and keep scrolling through their social media feed. But I am also grateful for the five percent that do indeed read them. I am baffled by how many people actually clink on the link to at least preview the articles (yes, Twitter does display that information).

Nonetheless, I would like to make something clear. I write these articles not only for myself, but also for the five percent that gain something—really anything—out of reading them. The five percent that is willing to take my advice and chuckle at my rare humor I incorporate in these seemingly serious articles. The five percent that is willing to let me into their own lives and have a weekly impact on them. These articles are for all the people who have messaged me on Facebook asking how to get involved with Odyssey or who have shared their own relatable experiences with me. Those messages make my day and fill me with utter joy.

Let’s make this simple. I love to write—as do many others. You do not have to be a philosopher to express yourself on paper. It is merely another way to create your identity and separate yourself from the crowd. I encourage you to take initiative and immerse yourself in your own writing. You will find happiness beyond belief.

Today marks the six-month anniversary of being a writer for The Odyssey. Many of you may say “Woo-hoo, six months of writing articles that you don’t even get paid for.” But in my eyes, I do get paid. I get paid with the stress relief writing brings me, the opportunity to develop writing skills, and most importantly with the knowledge that I am making an impact in at least five percent of your lives.

There wasn’t a specific direction for this article. I just wanted to feel my fingers gently press against each key with utmost gratefulness. Thank you to The Odyssey administration and to all of the people who take the time out of their day to read my writing. Stay tuned—I’m not going anywhere anytime soon.