It's Crazy How A Mirror Brought Back All The Nostalgic Memories With My Best Friend

Nothing looked remotely the same.

34
Personal Photography

Over the Thanksgiving break, I went to my hometown to stay with some family friends. There was so much excitement when I finally got there. I knew I was some kind of home. But the bubbles would quickly pop as the heaviest part of the week happened at the beginning.

I went to the room I'd be staying in and set my bags down in front of a beautiful, large mirror. There was nothing particularly special about it, but I had a million thoughts as soon as I saw it sitting there on the floor. When I say I had a million thoughts, million is probably a heavy, heavy understatement. I couldn't process quick enough, but I knew one thing - I missed my best friend.

I sat down on the ground and watched so many memories play in that mirror as if it were a television instead. I could see every single laugh my friends back home shared with me through ten years of friendship. I could see every heartbreak that we all put back together. I could see every trip to the gym, every dance at the high school, and every ride in the car. I was home, but I wanted to be home-home. I wanted to be with Amie.

Being in college is so different than everything I've ever been used to because Amie and I have been together since elementary school. We used to drive around town together and make a "vlog" that will someday actually (hopefully) get famous. Every stop light we featured our most popular segment, "Red Light Runs," where I would run around the car, and if we wanted to spice it up, we would see how many times I could circle the vehicle before the light turned green. We spent several nights together until almost three in the morning just wasting time, but none of that time was ever really a waste because we were spending time with each other. I would give anything to have that back.

I know that we are at different colleges because we have different purposes to fulfill, but I hope with every fiber of my being that our futures collide because she has been my partner in crime for what might as well be my entire life. Christmas is coming up soon, and I know I would be happy without any presents or cards because I'll get to see my best friend.

Seeing that mirror brought a lot of memories that I missed, but it was Thanksgiving so I chalked it up to being thankful instead of sad. Though I was sitting in front of that mirror alone, I still saw Amie sitting there with me. I saw us organizing her makeup because that's where she got ready every morning. She sat there when we talked about our problems, and we sat there with our other friends, too. I saw our absolutely terrible spray tans a week before senior prom. I saw our super toned arm muscles after our second gym workout together. I saw myself crying on her phone screen as we Facetimed my very first week away from home.

Here's the thing, I have countless memories with Amie, and I want to make countless memories. I was not prepared for that floor mirror, but I am prepared for the one back home. No one's been a better friend, and no one knows me better than you so I cannot wait to sit in front of that mirror again just like we did in high school. I'll see you soon Cheese Bag <3