For And Against: The Black Lives Matter Movement

There are many viewpoints on the modern civil rights movement.

380
msecnd

It is time to tackle an extremely difficult topic: racism and the Black Lives Matter movement.

I would first like to state that the opinions shared in this article are not necessarily viewpoints that I share, unless stated that they are my own. I simply want to try to approach this topic from both sides, examine the arguments, and provide my own take on the current race situation in America.

The Black Lives Matter movement has gained momentum over the past several years, and race has become one of, if not the, most predominant issue in America today. Many people believe that this movement will help end the seemingly systemic racism in the police force and elsewhere, but not everyone thinks that the movement is effective.

Against: “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is only stoking the flames for more violent crime.” I have seen this opinion in several different places. The media has been portraying the Black Lives Matter movement in a way that makes it appear as if the movement is all about protesting in the streets or in ways that “toe the line of unconstitutionality.” Examples include what is currently happening in North Carolina and Colin Kaepernick’s and other athletes’ kneeling protests during the national anthem. These are the primary instances of the movement that have been publicized, leading many to believe that the movement is doing more harm than good.

For: “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is not about wanting the lives of colored people to matter as much as a white person’s life. Yes, ‘All Lives Matter,’ but white people have never faced discrimination like people of color have, and that is what the goal of the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is.” One of the arguments against the movement is that it should focus on making all lives equal; however, this viewpoint, while very popular, is met with “Black Lives Matter” proponents with the above quoted argument – that white people have not faced the same discrimination historically that black people have.

Against: “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is not inclusive of all issues related to black people and what they are facing and is instead selective about what they protest – in this case, white cops killing black men, women and children.” This argument is not one that I have heard often, but raises a good point. This may be because of media portrayal, but police and racial issues have risen recently, causing the movement to shift its focus to, primarily, the issue of protesting police brutality. Many see this as “not inclusive” of all issues that black people face and that the movement should focus on all issues.

For: “The ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement is aimed at protesting unquestionable acts of racism, especially in the police force, and ensuring that these incidents are handled legally correct and justly.” As stated before, police brutality has been one of the primary focuses of the movement, especially with more and more instances occurring that are getting national attention. The movement seeks justice for racist crimes committed, and further advocates for black rights to be made equal to that of whites.

Do I have issues with the Black Lives Matter movement? Yes. Do I think it’s necessary? Yes. I believe in what the BLM movement is fighting for, because it is time that blacks have equal rights as whites. I do not believe there is a problem with the police force, and I do not believe that all policemen are “out to get” African Americans. But I do believe there is an issue with people within the police forces throughout the country that have racist tendencies and let those get in the way of doing the duty they are supposed to do.

The BLM movement must also do their share – protesting violently only draws negative attention and takes away from the goal the movement tries to support. The Black Lives Matter movement is an important social movement toward equality for blacks and whites that must be accomplished in a civil manner from both sides of the issue. Easier said than done, and I am obviously one inexperienced voice amongst millions fighting for equality – but this movement is too important to the future of America to let it die. It is time for change, and it begins with whites and blacks working together to fight racism in America.