Why Singles Hate Valentine's Day

Why Singles Hate Valentine's Day

Just in case we didn’t already feel alone during the holiday season, there is a national holiday a month or so later to rub it in our faces!

1239
Why Singles Hate Valentine's Day

This is for all the other single people out there. I have to tell you, mid-February is not my favorite time of year: pink hearts everywhere you look, half-dead flowers sitting in windows of every store, and of course, the secret shame of every single girl -- the flower delivery from Mom. It’s easy to understand the big reason that being single on Valentine’s Day truly sucks: you’re just left out.

Here are 10 reasons why singles hate Valentine's Day.

1. It’s just another reminder that we are single.

Just in case we didn’t already feel alone during the holiday season with Christmas and New Year’s, there is a national holiday a month or so later to rub it in our face again.

2. It’s a scam.

Valentine’s Day is a day for companies to make an extra profit. They overcharge you on chocolates and flowers that you could purchase any other day of the year for half the price... and those $45 teddy bears! Do not get me started on those things! On average, the typical Valentine’s Day consists of a nice dinner, with chocolates and some half-dead flowers, and even sometimes a nice piece of jewelry. That’s estimated to $130 on just one evening that you could have with someone special on any random day if you wanted.

3. Too much PDA!

I’m all for a nice hand hold or a hug or even those cute kisses. But seriously! We get it! You have found the most amazing person and can’t help but shower this person with affection all damn day long. Good for you, but for the sake of the rest of us, please just get a room or save it for later.

4. Can’t get a decent meal anywhere in a 30-mile radius.

Why is it that because you are single, you are forced to stay at home and eat ramen or a frozen pizza? You can’t go to a restaurant and even carry out because every couple in the entire town has put every place on reserve. And even if you wanted to stay in, chances are you will be using the night as an excuse to eat whatever it is that you want, and honestly, why shouldn’t you?

5. Every commercial.

Yes, I am fully aware that every kiss begins with the letter K. I do not need to be reminded every five seconds on the TV, radio, or Pandora ads! We get it!

6. Oh… and the stores!

I am just trying to buy some nachos and cheese! Why is it that at every entrance there is a $45 teddy bear and heart-shaped chocolates? People actually go to the store to buy other things than just those this time of the year. Get that out of my face!

7. You resent all of your taken friends.

Good for you, you get to enjoy a five-star meal tonight after getting showered with elaborate gifts!

But then they feel bad and bring you home the leftovers, so there is a plus!

8. When Mom is your Valentine...

Every year my mom buys me cupcakes, a stuffed animal, and even flowers. I love her for it, and it’s really sweet, but then I have to deal with all my friends that are in relationships saying, “Awww, maybe next year!” or, “You need to get out there more!”

Or that awkward phone call from your grandmother saying, “Who’s the lucky guy?” and you have to explain that, instead of going on a date, you will be in your bed with a gallon of ice cream binging on shitty romance movies on Netflix. And then she follows it up with: You are too picky! If you just lowered the bar, you’d be in a relationship.” I’ll stick to my lowed bar of Netflix movies instead.

9. Double dates.

Oh! My favorite! When your friend feels sorry for you and tries to hook you up with all of her boyfriend’s single friends like you are on the market or at an auction. Please don’t do this! Being single isn't so bad that I'm going to resort to spending Valentine's Day with a stranger... at least for now.

10. Valentine’s Day makes people afraid to start dating someone.

Dating gets put on hold for the few weeks before February 14, because who wants to go on one date with someone only to have to decide right away whether to commit to a couples’ holiday together? Say “yes” to a Valentine’s Day date, and you seem too eager. But if you don’t mention the holiday at all, you look just plain out of touch.

It’s just another day! Valentine’s Day means nothing if the other 364 days don’t come close to measuring up. Single or not, don’t let one day be the only day you do a kind gesture for someone special.

Tell someone you care for them every day, single or not! Everyone deserves to feel loved!

For all the singles out there, you are not alone!

Peace, love, and hugs.