Food Adventures in Seattle: Part I

Food Adventures in Seattle: Part I

Hidden spots, too good to not share with all!

33
Food Adventures in Seattle: Part I
425 Magazine

If you are a big foodie like me, there’s nothing more fulfilling than finding a good restaurants and sharing it with other people. Here are some of my favorite spots to hit in the greater Seattle area.

Phorale: Vietnamese-Mexican Fusion

Georgetown, WA

I discovered this restaurant on my cousin’s birthday last year. When we hit 7 different restaurants in one day, this was the first place we stopped by. From outside, it looks a little bit sketchy. It is located in the side of a convenient store, making it the definition of a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. However, don’t be discouraged by its exterior, the food they make is incredibly delicious. They offer a unique fusion menu of Vietnamese and Mexican that can’t be found anywhere else. My favorite thing to get on the menu is the fuego sandwich with extra garlic cilantro mayo along with a side of Phorale fries with bulgogi. Their menu is under $10, making it a perfect destination for lunch in the Westside. The only difficulty I found was that they are in Georgetown, a distant drive from Seattle or the Eastside. Nonetheless, I will never be hesitant to start driving when I crave one of Phorale’s tortas.

Facing East: Taiwanese

Bellevue, WA

Facing East is probably my favorite restaurant on the Eastside. Located in the heart of Bellevue, this place offers authentic Taiwanese food for the locals and touring citizens of elsewhere. You walk into this restaurant almost anytime of the day, or any day of the week, and you will find this place packed with people waiting to get a taste of their food. I swear, there were only few time that I visited this place when I got seated in less than 30 minutes. It’s very popular among the people that know, and in my opinion, that it is far better than Din Tai Fung (I still love Din Tai Fung though). Note that Tai food is not the same as Thai food, and Facing East will not have coconut curry in the menu. But if you ever get a chance to stop by, make sure to try their delicious Tai pork burgers, as well as pork stew over rice, braised pork belly, and any dish with pork in it. The prices range anywhere from $3 to $30 varying in portions and ingredients. They also have shaved ice and bubble tea as desert, so if you have a little bit more room left after you shove your face in pepper sauced ribs, I would definitely recommend trying out the icy desert.

Brown Bag Cafe: American Breakfast and Lunch

Kirkland, WA

Breakfast is the king of all meals, especially if you stop by Brown Bags Cafe. Right off exit 20 on I-405, there is a small breakfast cafe with the portion size big enough to feed a horse for three months. They are a classic American diner with classic American portions. No matter how big you are, you will walk out of there with a full stomach and a to-go box. Their menu is similar to what any other breakfast cafe’s carry in terms of price and variety, however, the quality and quantity will not be the same. When you see the waitress walking in with 15lb. plates of food, there’s no other better feeling in the world. This place is perfect for starving college students, big eaters, or anyone looking to satisfy their breakfast and lunch. Come check this place out!