Are The People You Follow On Social Media Actually Good For You?

Are you being influenced in the right way?

176
Photo by Sara Kurfeß on Unsplash

Your friends and family help define you most of the time right? They influence the way we think, how we act, dress, eat. They are the people we identify with deeply and associate ourselves with. Influencers can have the same effect. You constantly see their posts, you trust their recommendations, but the clothes they wear, style your hair the same way. This can be an amazing thing when used in the right way. It can be a way for someone to broaden their fashion, beauty, and lifestyle horizons. It can inspire people to be more productive, or go outside of their shell more. But, it can also be not as helpful.

Do the people you follow on social media actually expand the way you think and teach you new things? Do they have your best interest at heart? Inspire you? Or do you just aimlessly scroll through feeling bad for yourself that you aren't in Paris or look a certain way? Sometimes it takes a minute of self-reflection to actually realize what you are feeling from the people you follow.

Social media has become something negative for most people now, and that isn't what it should be. It could be really taking a toll on your life if you are feeling negative about the people you follow and how you are living your life because of it. You should narrow your feed down to people who only really make you laugh, inspire you, educate you, and that you care about. Don't follow people because you think you need to or because they're famous. Following only those who will impact your life in a positive way will really help you mentally and change the way you feel every day.

Side note: don't be afraid to unfollow family and friends if their content is making you unhappy. I know that it as seen as the ultimate sign of betrayal in today's world, but I promise, you will be fine. They will be fine. Do what you need to be inspired and happy. You've got this.