A Follower In A Position Of Leadership

A Follower In A Position Of Leadership

Are you a leader, a follower or a mixture of both?

20
A Follower In A Position Of Leadership

A Follower In A Position Of Leadership

Let me just start out by saying that for my entire life I have been categorized as a follower. Sometimes the context is something positive, like having a “servant’s heart” or “a gentle spirit.” While other times the context was not as endearing, like “being a push-over” or “not thinking for myself.” For the longest time, I accepted these negative or patronizing pictures of what it means to be a follower.

Now, however, God has positioned me in a place of leadership that is currently challenging my perspective, as well as my comfort zone.

Perspective

I am all too comfortable with sitting quietly in the back of the room or keeping quiet as those around me make their voices heard and make the decisions. It’s just easier that way. In that position, I’m shielded from rejection, ridicule, and embarrassment. However, this type of following is out of pure fear and is incredibly selfish.

A true follower is someone who encourages the leader and helps in the progression of whatever cause or situation they are pursuing. A follower must be selfless, supportive and unafraid of what the masses might think.

Christ has called us to be followers. Not everyone can be, or is supposed to be, a leader. This fact is something that a lot of young Christians need to realize in light of negative outcomes when seeking leadership.

Discomfort Zone

I am a member of my dorm leadership team this year and I have only begun to get a taste of what it means to be in a position of leadership. This process of exiting my comfort zone has been exciting and excruciating all at the same time. I know that if I was not surrounded by the girls on my team I would not be nearly as accepting of this whole thing and the process would be so much more difficult. I am so in awe of God and His sovereignty in placing the incredible people in my life that He has.

A More Complete Picture

As I write this I am in the midst of gaining brand new leadership experience and learning what it means to serve my peers in my current station of life. Everything I’m learning is challenging my previous concept of following versus leading and I hope to understand it further through experiences in the upcoming year.

Currently, I would say that no matter where God has you, either as a leader or as a follower, you have specific responsibilities that are ordained by God. If you are a follower, support what you believe in whole-heartedly, selflessly and with an attitude of encouragement. If you are a leader, be a Godly example by leading humbly, intentionally and with perseverance. Also, all of these characteristics are applicable despite your position.

Don’t be afraid to be a follower, a leader or a mixture of both. Just seek to be in line with God's will, seek godly mentors and always serve with a spirit of humility.