I'm Focused On My Career, Rather Than Dating

I'm Focused On My Career Life, Not My Love Life And I Don't Feel Like I'm Missing Out

You don't need a significant other for your life to feel significant.

630

I'm an independent girl. I have always had big dreams and I will do anything to reach those dreams. I have worked 20-40 hours a week since I was 15 years old. I have a great group of friends, filled with amazing women and wonderful men. I'm active in my social life and I'm always down for the newest adventure. I would say that my life is very rounded out. However, sometimes when I'm surrounded by my peers, I see that most of them are in some form of relationship. This, however, is an aspect of my life that is currently open for applicants.

Being almost 20 years old, I have friends in all different walks of the dating game. Some are in new and exciting relationships while others are getting prepared for marriage. Hearing the talks of future plans, significant others are a major part of my friends' futures. Not saying that I don't want to date, because I do, but I simply don't have time for it right now.

I would rather be looking for internships than swiping through Tinder. I would rather be building my portfolio than breaking down my walls. I would rather be adding experience to my resume than adding another guy into my life.

And, to be honest, I really hate this generation of dating. From the late night texts to the ghosting, I just hate it. I know a lot of people say this now, but I just don't want a relationship based around technology. I want something that is authentic, honest and real. I don't want to go on dates with guys from a dating app, knowing what their true intention is. I don't want to meet a random guy at a frat party (who probably isn't that good for me). I don't want to Netflix and chill.

Like my career, I want something I can learn from. I want someone I can learn from. I want someone that will help me towards my goals, rather than distracting me from them. I want someone who is as focused on their careers as I am. And frankly, I don't think this is a bad thing.

So, while some girls are planning their wedding days or their future kids' names, I am planning the details to creating my own business and how I'm going to get there. I'm proud that I know where I want to be in my career. Sure, I don't have a boyfriend or any romantic future plans, but that shouldn't make me feel less than.

If you're work driven, please be proud of that! You don't need a significant other for your life to feel significant. Get that promotion, start that business, grow your work experience. Your love life will follow and it will feel so much sweeter when it does come. Be excited for your friends and their love lives, but be excited for what's to come for you too. If you're passionate about something, it doesn't have to feel like you're missing out.