I'd Rather Go After A Bachelor's Degree Than 'The Bachelor'

I'm The Girl Who'd Much Rather Go After A Bachelor's Degree Than 'The Bachelor,' Sorry Peter

May come as a surprise, but boys aren't everything

215

Boys are not everything. Let me say that again, or rather write it again, boys are not everything.

Yes, boys can be great. They are fun, protective, and wonderful to look at, however, there is more to life than boys. There are so many things that life has to offer, so why spend it wasting your time chasing after a boy? If a boy wants you, he will pursue you. Besides, a desperate girl is not attractive, as seen on the popular show "The Bachelor."

Now, I am not writing this to bash boys because, hey boys are great. This is more of me saying that our world has put so much pressure on girls having to find a husband, especially at such a young age. There is this idea that boys are the end goal and there isn't anything better, which is so wrong. Yes, it can be amazing to be with someone you love dearly and vice versa, but don't make it the only thing that matters in your life.

It can be so easy to lose yourself in another person and forget about yourself and what you want.

I don't want to spend my college career chasing after boys who do not even know what they want. If a boy comes along, great, if not, then that's that. I won't push it away if it comes unless he is not the kind of guy that I am looking for, but I am at college to figure out what I want to do. College is also a wonderful opportunity to make friends and just have fun. Having a boyfriend can complicate that. It is great to be friends first and then see where it goes.

As mentioned previously, college is about finding out what I want to do. There are so many women who give up their careers for men. There are some circumstances in which there could be a justifiable reason to do that, but I want to be able to figure out what I want to do for my career.

Timing is everything. I want to find a guy who will help me better myself and help remind me to challenge myself.

Relationships can be messy and a distraction. It is important to keep that in mind so that when a guy comes along, you know to be cautious and get in a relationship for the right reasons. There are so many people getting in relationships for the wrong reasons because of the societal standards that have been placed on us. Many people get in a relationship simply so they can say they are in a relationship, or because they like the feeling of it. As a result, people just experience pain.

Life gives you so many amazing opportunities and all we have to do is take them.

Look at the bigger picture rather than what you are feeling at the moment. As much as I love the idea of having a boyfriend, I know that is not a reason to get a boyfriend. Like I said, if a guy comes then I will see where it leads, but at this moment in time I am going to focus on figuring out what I want to do with my life.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.