Two Important Florida Races Are Headed To Recount

Florida's governor and senate races are both within recount range.

338

After a wild election night, two important races in Florida are in recount territory. "If the gap between candidates is half a percentage point or less, the state is mandated to conduct a machine recount," according to CBS News. "As of Thursday, the margins between Scott and Nelson and between DeSantis and Gillum are each under half a percentage point."

The race between Senator Bill Nelson (D) and Florida Governor Rick Scott (R), is now within recount range as Nelson's deficit is now 17,000 votes. CNN reports, "Nelson's campaign aides believe he will emerge victorious once all the ballots are counted."

The race for governor is still questionable. Democrat Andrew Gillum, the mayor of Tallahassee, conceded to Republican Ron DeSantis on Tuesday evening, but Gillum apparently now supports a recount as his deficit "is down to 38,000 votes, within the .5% needed for a machine recount." Gillum's campaign released the following statement:

"On Tuesday night, the Gillum for Governor campaign operated with the best information available about the number of outstanding ballots left to count. Since that time, it has become clear there are many more uncounted ballots than was originally reported. Our campaign, along with our attorney Barry Richard, is monitoring the situation closely and is ready for any outcome, including a state-mandated recount. Mayor Gillum started his campaign for the people, and we are committed to ensuring every single vote in Florida is counted."

Today, Gillum commented on the recount, tweeting, "Every voice must be heard in this race! If you voted a provisional ballot, make sure your vote gets counted by contacting your County Supervisor of Elections by 5 PM TODAY." The recount is currently trending on Twitter with calls for all voters to ensure provisional ballots are counted.

Still, Gillum has not explicitly asked for a recount or withdrawn his concession to DeSantis. Furthermore, DeSantis has yet to comment on the recount, leaving the state of Florida's governor race unclear.

According to CBS News, the recount must be complete by November 18, and the Elections Canvassing Commission will meet to verify the recount at the Florida Capitol on November 20.