Fixing Our Relationship With Ourselves
Health Wellness

Fixing Our Relationship With Ourselves

Loving yourself through all the ups & downs of life.

103
https://pixabay.com/photos/heart-silhouette-sun-love-hands-2280933/
Pixabay.com

Do you like yourself?

That might seem like an odd question. Of course I like myself… why wouldn't I like myself? Yet, in today's society, everyone seems focused on the negative - what we don't like about ourselves. We stand in front of the mirror and ask ourselves: "why am I still single", "she's prettier than me", "why can't I have what they have", "I need to lose weight", "I'm not pretty enough", "why don't I have a boyfriend"… the list goes on. How much time do you think we spend focusing on everything that's "wrong" with us? How much time do we waste complaining about the "why not's" in our life, when we could be praising all that is? How much better would our lives be if we took that time and celebrated all our unique gifts and strengths?

One of the most important relationships you will ever have is the one you have with yourself. You will spend your entire life in the same body, with the same heart and mind and soul. Our bodies weren't made to stand in front of a camera for a picture that will get hundreds of likes. Our legs were made to walk our dogs, to stand up for what is right, to run into the arms of a loved one. Our stomachs were made to double over laughing, to lay on when we need to take a nap, to be filled with good food. Our arms were made to give hugs, to open a good book, to hold a glass and say "cheers" to the good times with your best friends. Our worth is found not in the way we look, but in our values and beliefs. When we change the way we think, we can change the way we approach our lives. When we put our relationship with ourselves first, every other relationship in our lives will be better as a result.

When we start to practice self-love, we start to see things in a new light. And it can start today, right now. You don't have to wait to get the job you have always wanted, to get into the right school, to lose the 10 pounds, or to have the perfect relationship. Self-love is about accepting where you are now, just as you are. You have so many things yet to accomplish, but look at all that you have already done to get to where you are today! When we are able to be happy with what we already have, to be content with where we are at in life, we will find that we already have everything we need.

You are kind. You are driven. You are passionate. You are hard working. You are outgoing. You are caring. You are funny. You are considerate. You are respectful. You are empowering. You are inspiring. You are loving. You are loyal. You are compassionate. You are talented. You are so many incredible and wonderful things. Don't let your negative thoughts take away another minute of you not loving yourself completely and fully.

You are worth it. You are enough. You can do everything you set your mind to.