Five Ways To Stay Positive When All You Want To Do Is Scream

When you can't find the sunshine, be the sunshine.

27

We’re coming out of a very emotional week. We’ve all felt everything from anger to relief and, for most of us, we are mentally exhausted. In order to keep our minds and bodies healthy it’s important to invest time into ourselves. With everything going on in the world, it’s easy to get bogged down with frustrations and resentment towards others. I have created a list of five ways to stay positive and invest in yourself:

1. TURN OFF ALL NOTIFICATIONS FOR SOCIAL MEDIA

I originally wanted to say, stay off all social media, but if I’m being honest, that’s nearly impossible for most of us to do. I think instead of staying off completely it is important to drastically cut down your time spent on social media. It’s a breeding ground of false, accusing, negative information. How many times have you been scrolling through your Facebook feed and suddenly see something that infuriates you? Nearly every day, right?

By turning off all social media notifications on your phone you’re much less tempted to go looking for trouble. It’s an easy way to keep your day positive. To learn how to turn off your notifications, search “how to turn off Facebook notifications on my phone” on Youtube (that’s what I did).

2. LISTEN TO PODCASTS

This is a new one for me. Earlier this week I listened to my first podcast and fell in love. It’s a free, fun way to focus on positive, educational things. I usually listen to podcasts while I’m getting ready for work in the morning. I use my Bluetooth speaker set and turn the volume up so I can hear it while I’m running around my house. No matter what you like listening to, there will be a free podcast that catches your attention, here are a few of my favorite ones so far:

-Your Kick-Ass Life with Andrea Owen-

-Read Scripture with Francis Chan

- Millennial

- Stuff You Should Know

There are a gazillion podcasts, but like I said I’m still a newbie and my list is small. Listen to anything you’d like, except anything related to politics.

3. GO TO TARGET

This might sound simple, but I promise, it always brightens my mood. Plan a special “you” time with a trip to Target. Grab your favorite drink at Starbucks (most Target stores have a starbs) then go straight to the cosmetics and hygiene isle/section. Buy one or two of the Que Bella face masks (I’m obsessed with them) then buy a foot scrub or a foot mask. They also have a really good selection of bath salts with aromatherapy (lavender is the best) which would be a good addition to your other “spa” purchases.

After your escapades in Target go home and have a little spa day. You will feel, relaxed, rejuvenated and ready to take on the world.

4. BINGE WATCH MINDLESS TELEVISION

There’s nothing like a good Netflix-binge to take the ease off countless hours of watching CNN. Choose a television show, something with a lot of episodes and seasons, something you don’t have to really keep-up with to understand, and something silly that makes you laugh. Sitting back without a care in the world is all you need sometimes to de-stress and to take your mind off things. My suggestions:

"The Office"

"Friends"

"How I Met Your Mother"

"Bob’s Burgers"

5. DO YOGA

Even if you’ve never done it before, yoga is such a beautiful and enchanting way to connect with yourself and understand yourself. I love the meditation process that is included in yoga and even though I don’t find myself practicing as much as I’d like, every time I do it I feel 100% better about myself (mentally and physically). Bring your laptop to an open area like your living room. Go to Youtube and type Yoga in the search bar. That’s it! There are countless videos on Youtube for yoga beginners and intermediates. Light a candle or two while you are practicing as well. To make your experience even better, make a smoothie for yourself afterward. Your mind and body will both be cleansed.