Five Ways To Dominate Grad School Like A Boss

Tips to take control of your present to make a beautiful future

34
Rachel Snyder

In high school one of my favorite songs was "Bossy" by Kelis. Considering this fact, I should have foreseen my current approach to life now that I’m 25 and in graduate school. For me, grad school has been a whole other ball field compared to undergrad. This has a lot to do with the fact that I’m trying to balance emerging adulthood along with student life. I no longer fall under the umbrella undergrad students do where a degree of irresponsibility is to be expected. I have to remain focused in life both personally and professionally. I don’t have time to slip up because if I do, it’ll be like a domino effect impacting everything from my emotions to timeliness. I still don’t feel like a complete adult or like I’ve found myself but all I know now is, I have to work 20+ hours a week, pay rent and other bills, go grocery shopping, and still maintain my full time student statues (12+credits and 3.0 G.P.A.) or I lose my student loans eligibility. OH and I have to be totally competent and successful in an unpaid internship for 15+ hours a week. I honestly do not think there’s enough time in the week for all this. Not to mention graduate level classes carry a heavier writing and reading load then undergrad classes. Grad school has been full of harsh realities but also an abundant amount of beautiful lessons. I’m learning I have to practice certain habits and maintain particular perspectives or I’ll easily fall to pieces. Here are five I have found useful and totally manageable.

1. BE OKAY WITH THE 'B'

Let yourself off the hook with the G.PA. Obviously, do what you need to in order to keep any financial assistants/scholarships but understand ‘A’s’ are not everything. Perfect or high G.PA.s in reality only get you a couple extra Latin words next to your name at graduation and bragging rights. On a resume or in an interview no employer cares—they really don’t. Many professionals in a variety of fields will tell you being a good student will not ensure your success in the field. There’s an art to what you’re studying, so make sure you’re investing in that just as much.

2. DON'T EXPECT EVERYONE TO UNDERSTAND

While graduate school is on a whole other level than undergrad, don’t expect people to get that. Some will think you just didn’t want to leave the college bubble or that you just don’t know how to not be a student. Some will make you question your path because you didn’t get a job with your undergrad degree. Some won’t understand that between classes, work and internship you put more hours in a week then they do and that’s not even considering time to do assignments and read. Once you reconcile this with yourself, that you work hard and don’t need to prove that to anyone, it takes away a lot of unnecessary pressure and stress.

3. VISIONS AND GOALS GALORE

Whether making short and long term goal list or vision boards are your thing, do one. Put it somewhere that forces you to look at it every day. So, when you’re tired and emotionally spent from your busy schedule look at it and remember this is all for a purpose. Also getting creative in general is a great way to reduce stress. Put quotes and dreams all around you. The space you live in should reflect your aspirations for the future. Staying hopeful can make the present moment struggles worth it and the victories so much sweeter.

4. GET ACTIVE AND EAT RIGHT

I know you’ve heard this a million and one times, but I’m serious. Work out and eat well to the best of your ability. Before you start this, DO NOT compare yourself to the fitness models on Instagram. Reality check, you will never be able to work out like they do, at least not now in life. Simply use their expertise to inspire what is going to fit into your life. Let’s be honest, you may have tops anywhere from three to four hours a week to committee to fitness; so find what works for you. Getting active will be your greatest ally in relieving stress and getting a good night’s rest (which is also SO important). Also, don’t compare yourself to the Instagram models and pages committed to healthy eating. Understand that health food is expensive and a lot of these Instagram models are being endorsed by these products. You don’t need special detox teas that make you skinny—eating fruits and vegetables along with reasonably priced teas from supermarkets work just as well. Do some legit research and see what will be beneficial and practical for you. Eating well brings lots of natural energy and emotional health; which are two things you need to be a boss in grad school.

5. FIND SUPPORT

In this season of life you need more than "good time" friends. You are going to need a support system. You need friends and mentors that get where you are in life; so when you’re crying in your car between classes, they get it. These people need to push you towards your goals while simultaneously letting you be completely where you are. One of the hardest lessons a young adult goes through is learning the idea of the “right people.” It’s not that people are good or bad, it’s simply that some people are just not for you. The relationships you have in life will build you up, tear you down, or hold you back, so choose carefully as life brings people in and out. Also, consider that in this busy time of life you don’t have the time or the energy for heavy or emotionally burdensome relationships. Every type of relationship comes with hardships but there are certain kinds you just cannot take on right now. There’s a time and place for everything, learn to say no.

Lastly, fall in love with your life—every single part of it. The long days, the long nights, the friends you have, the loses, the wins, the new yoga class you’re trying, the rest, the working, and that new smoothie recipe, just enjoy all of it. Know that everything is worth the struggle even the mundane. You are living your life and working for even more life to be had, so embrace it.