Five Thoughts To Make Your Head Hurt

Five Thoughts To Make Your Head Hurt

These are thoughts that will cause your mind to work overtime for hours.

112
Five Thoughts To Make Your Head Hurt
www.giphy.com

Throughout our curious lives, there are many thoughts that go through our heads. Some are simple, like "did I leave the stove on," "should I take the dog for a walk today," or "which Spice Girl is the most well known in the state of Utah?" These are usually the musings and meanderings that should fill our heads during our times of leisure. On occasion, we all think too far past this to random thoughts that have no reason to ever be thought about, like "how many stars are in the sky that resemble Gary Busey?" (The answer is 7). If this was not useless enough, there are times when we venture past this uncanny valley of thought into ideas and philosophies that will hurt our heads and make our minds die just a little bit inside. Here are some of these mind twisters:

1. What if I had eyes in the back of my head too?

This question seems innocent at first, but just think about it. Ponder thoroughly over the sheer amount of information entering your eyes a second. Think of how much concentration we have to put into analyzing what you are seeing. Having to double that concentration to the back of your head just seems much too treacherous.

2. When did the universe begin?

I'm not trying to wage a war between creationists and evolutionists, but regardless there had to be something before the universe was made. There really couldn't be nothing, because ultimately, nothing is something. The blackness of nothing still is a thing that exists. What created nothing? There had to be something that created nothing. But something can't exist within nothingness, then it's really not nothingness, it's just isolation. I could chew this over all day. Just trying to contemplate the origin of that is a trying task within itself.

3. No superhero could literally have every power.

This may take some explaining, but it's basically the conversation of God or a person with God like abilities being able to do everything. However, everything isn't possible. I'm not even going to get into being literally everywhere inside everyone in any given place in the universe. That's for God and Dr. Manhattan from the Watchmen. I'm talking about the power of making a rock so heavy you can't lift it. Because if you did that, then you couldn't have the power to lift everything. Even if you do garner the strength to lift it, you have just proven you can't make a rock so heavy you can't lift it. The stuff of sorcery and headaches.

4. Everything is so much more gargantuan than we think it is.

Yes, it's no secret that planets and objects in the universe are incredibly huge. Sometimes I think of how tall a building is when I'm standing next to it. It makes my knees buckle looking up, marveling at it's towering and twisting height. The Earth is so much bigger than that building and millions of Earths could fit in the sun and so on. There are many stars in the universe that could swallow our sun for an early morning brunch and still have room for a couple jello pudding pops. Just thinking of how large these things would be to see in real life puts things into perspective of how small we really and truly are.

5. This is the one I call the "two robots puzzle."

This is one I remember vaguely off an old Dr. Who episode with Tom Baker. Essentially the Doctor and his companion are trapped in a room together and the only way to get out is to talk to two robots who are stationed in one place. One robot always lies and one robot always tells the truth. No one knows which is which. There are two exits to the room. One leads to safety and one leads to certain death. The doctor and his companion are only allowed one question to ask the robots. After a short moments deliberation, the Doctor approaches one of the robots and asks "Which exit would your friend choose" to which the robot points to an exit and the Doctor and companion take it to safety. I have thought an awful lot about this conundrum and still for the life of me can't figure out the logic behind it. This is maybe why the Doctor is a genius being that drives a time traveling war head and knows almost everything in the universe and I'm trying to deliberate on what college makes me happy. But we're both geniuses in my opinion, so it is what it is.

So in conclusion, just try not to think about these things too much if you want to have a happy and carefree day that is actually productive. If anyone actually has an answer to any of these questions, they are most definitely lying and no one should listen to them or take them seriously. I think that these are entertaining things to turn around in your head in your spare time.