Five Things to do on Spring Break if Your Aren't Going Anywhere

We all know the feeling of not going somewhere when all of your friends are

39
PlayBuzz

You can’t go somewhere on Spring Break every year, or maybe you’re just not that type of person to go somewhere, regardless, there are several things you can do on Spring Break that cost little to nothing. Here is my list of what I’ll be doing.

Read a couple books on John Green’s reading list

John Green is the author of several best selling books like The Fault in our Stars, Paper Towns, and Looking for Alaska. He is also one half of the vlog sensation “Vlogbroters” with his brother Hank Green, John has several book review videos, but this one here is my favorite. Pick a book and search for it at your local library!

Watch Vlogbrothers from the beginning

Want to pass hours upon hours? Check out the Vlogbrother YouTube channel (Watch all the videos if you want to take up some serious time, the link to their channel here ) be sure to go to watch the VERY FIRST episode so you understand what is happening.

Research your family history

I’ve done this for my family and my boyfriend’s family now. It can quite literally take up HOURS of your time! My boyfriend knows almost nothing about his family past his grandparents, so I did his ancestry with just his grandparents names (he didn’t even know their birthdates) and I got back to the late 1700’s. Use the free version of ancestery.com and input your information and then your parents and grandparents and so on. By only using the free version, you can get pretty far. Be sure to keep a tab open for findagrave.com (use the link on Ancestery to take you directly where you need to go) it will give you a ton of free information, but only if the person you’re trying to find is deceased.

Learn to knit or crochet

I learned how to knit far faster than I did to crochet. It actually is fairly simple once you get the hang of it. It is just finding a book or video, or a combination of the two, that you understand better to help you learn. This activity will take you some time and it will also cost a little bit (no more than $15-$25 USD if you buy the basics at Walmart [yarn, knitting needles, and yarn needle]). You don’t even need a pattern! You can knit a scarf and an ear warmer with only knowing one stitch!

Go on a Geocaching adventure

Have you ever heard of this? My family and I used to pass hours going on “adventures”. It’s even more fun if the weather is nice! All you need is a GPS (one that you would use in your car) or a smartphone with GPS and the free Geocaching app (there also is a $10 app on the Apple App Store if you really start to enjoy it). Geocaching is a scavenger hunt type of game using latitudes and longitudes. Go to the website and create a free account and search your zip code. Look for caches in your area and go on a hunt! Follow the coordinates to the cache, which could be humongous or tiny depending on the cache. Sign your name in the cache log and log it on your phone or your computer when you get home, and collect those smiley faces!

Most of these activities won’t cost more than $25. Do a couple, and when you go back to school, you can list off at least five things you did over your break.