Five Things I Learned When Home For Break

Things that college doesn't teach you.

33
shutterstock

My first semester at college came to close in mid- December. I had learned so much in the four months that I was away from home. From how to get away with making ramen in the microwave rather then on the stove, to how to get out of my comfort zone in order to meet new people, to learning new subjects that I never even considered taking before, I learned so much my first semester away at school. However, I learned some very important lessons during my first extended break at home that your college is not able to teach you. Here is a list of five very important things I learned during the month I had off from school.

1. You Miss Your School Friends

You never thought it would be possible to get so close to people in such a certain amount of time. However, you spend basically every second of your day with these people so close attachments bordering on attachment issues is sure to happen.

2. All Of Your High School Friends Won't Be There

My mom always told me that you find your true friends in college. She had only kept in touch with two high school friends throughout the years, and was still in touch and close with her college friends. My mom met her best friend of over thirty years at her college orientation. I was very excited to catch up with the people I spent so much time with in the thirteen years I was in my school district. However, I found that some of my friends would only spend time with me if I initiated it, or didn't feel the need to see me at all. It is okay that your friends have changed, you have too. It turns out you were only friends because you were both in that small school district. You can not force a friendship, all you can do is remember the good times you did have with them and continue spending time with your high school friends that do want spend time with you,

3. Your Family Misses You

Yes, you miss your family also. However, you are experiencing so many new things and it is easy to get wrapped up in all the excitement of being away. However, they are the ones the really have to change their patterns once you are gone. Tell your parents all of your stories, hang out with your younger siblings. You will love this time you get to spend time with your family.

4. Education Is Good

You never thought you would miss your classes but you miss learning about the subject you love. However, you will NEVER miss getting up for those way to early classes (basically anything before eleven).

5. You Are In A Good Place

There was so much stress to get there, but you picked the right school and everything just feels right.