Five Small Ways To Bring Yourself Peace

Five Small Ways To Bring Yourself Peace

How to feel connected in a disconnected world.

11
Five Small Ways To Bring Yourself Peace
inner peace

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.”
-Gautama Buddha

In the midst of everyday life, it is easy to forget to take care of yourself. With the stress of school, jobs, and relationships, remembering to nurture the soul is extremely important both for mental and physical health. Here are some small things I try to do as often as I can in order to stay sane and grounded in a hectic life.

1. Keep a journal.

There is something oddly therapeutic about buying a fresh notepad and writing down whatever comes to mind. Handwritten things are much more personal than those on a screen. If you aren't a huge writer, make lists! One of my favorite ways to journal is to jot down small goals or things I am thankful for in my everyday life. It's a great way to not only remind yourself of the things we often overlook, but it is also a great way to keep track of events and memories.

2. Spend time outside.

Living in Boone, we have so many options when it comes to exploring nature. Go on a hike, drive the parkway, or simply look out your window and watch the sunset. Taking a moment everyday to appreciate the world around you is a great way to feel at peace with yourself and with the universe.

3. Make yourself a cup of tea.

Not only is it yummy, but different teas also have different therapeutic properties. Green, black, and white teas have been proven to heighten mental alertness, as well as fight against free radicals that can cause cancer or heart disease. Herbal teas can contribute to a more restful sleep and help fight the common cold. A mug of tea can warm the body and the soul!

4. Buy yourself flowers.

Having plants in your apartment or dorm room can (literally) liven up the space. Instead of being constantly surrounded by white walls, grab some tulips or daises and bring some color to an otherwise dull space.

5. Meditate.

Meditating is a great way to release stress and feel more connected to yourself and the earth. A great way to get involved with meditating, if you've never done it before, is through YouTube. There are a ton of great guided meditation videos that can help you relax and feel emotionally and physically at peace.

Above all else, deciding to live a life of purpose and meaning is the best way to achieve inner peace. By living with intention, we connect with, not only others and ourselves, but the world around us.