Pros And Cons Of Staying In A Hostel Vs. A Hotel

5 Reasons Solo Travelers Should Stay In A Hostel Instead Of A Hotel

Traveling Solo this year? Ditch the expensive hotel and consider staying in a hostel.

53
Obie Google Photos

For years people have been spending a fortune on accommodation for their travel experiences. Having worked in a hostel for roughly five months, I have always found it funny that people tend to look down upon living at a hostel. While when traveling in a group booking a hotel has its advantages, however for solo travelers staying at a hostel is much better.

Need more convincing? Here are five reasons

You will save much more money 

Hotels, in general, are very expensive. Some ranging from $80 to over $300 a night! Meanwhile, hostels tend to range from $7 – $30. By spending a less on accommodation you could be putting that money to other things. These other things could range from tours to other excursions. Nobody books a trip to stay in the accommodation the whole time, so why spend all that money for accommodation.

You will meet people from all over the world 

Staying in a hotel gives you the luxury of privacy. That privacy, however, is also a curse because it makes meeting people a lot harder. People who stay in hotels rarely , in general, to get to know other people outside of their rooms. Meanwhile, at hostels, there are solo travels from all over the world and even when hostel guest travel in groups they tend to be eager to get to know more people.

By staying in a hostel you get the luxury of meeting guest from all over the world. Working in a hostel for five months, I have been able to meet people from over 80 different countries. This is a huge benefit because you are able to learn about new cultures, even picking up a new language. Furthermore, this allows you to couch-surf at someone place in the hostel when you visit that country.

You will get access to the hottest nightclubs at a discounted price

Many hostels arrange for guests to go to the clubs for a fraction of the price. For example, many hostels have deals with clubs. For instance, at SOBE Hostel in Miami Beach, guests will pay $25 and this includes transportation to the club, free entrance to the club and sometimes free VIP table. This comes in handy especially when cover prices can range from 60-almost 100, just for entrance.

Hostels are just more fun 

Hotels are typically filled with much older guests and families. If you are an in between 18 and your early twenties, this may not be the most fun environment to be. Hostels typically are filled with a much younger group of people. This younger crowd generally loves to socialize and party. In addition to this hostels are more fun because of the fact that there are many social events put on. From beer pong to pizza night to karaoke nights there is always something to do.

You will ultimately have a better travel experience

Obie Dieke / Instagram

Since the rooms in hostels tend not to be as up to par with that of a hotel, you are less likely to spend time in your room. I have been in hotels that have been so nice that I never wanted to leave the room. I did not have to ever leave the resort because of the fact that everything that I needed was in the resort. I found myself staying in the resort and not making any real effort to go and explore. Since the rooms in the hostels tend to be not up to par with that of a hotel, I spend less time in my room and made more of an effort to go an explore the city that I was visiting.