Real Signs You Should Take That Big Chance You've Been Thinking About

35
Quantra Leadership Academy

We've all seen those motivational and/or inspiring posts around the internet. "You know that big chance you've been thinking about taking? Go. Do it. This is your sign." It doesn't take a genius to realize that these posts probably shouldn't be taken all that seriously.

I like the idea of fate and "meant-to-be" coincidences as much as the next person, but I still think that the likelihood of these kind of messages magically reaching the right people who are sitting on the fence of some hugely important decision is pretty slim, let alone the idea of them then actually considering it the sign they've been waiting for to move forward. So, with that in mind, for all of you out there with big decisions weighing heavy on your minds or looming on your horizons, here are five signs you should actually take that big chance.

1. You've thought about it critically and considered both the pros and the cons.

It's not nearly as heart-racing or exciting as the more, "fly by the seat of your pants" mentality, but the fact of the matter is if you're making a big decision, thinking it through is a necessity. That doesn't necessarily mean that you have to drag your feet or wait an allotted amount of time before making your decision -- contrary to popular belief, it is possible to think critically fairly quickly -- but it does mean that you have to, at some point, sit down, and think your present and future actions all the way through.

What are the pros and cons of this decision? How would it affect you? What about the people around you? What kind of results are you hoping for in this situation? What kind of results do you definitely not want to come from this decision? Thinking about these and other questions is a good way to make sure that you've really considered all sides of the situation and are able to make a clear-headed, rational decision.

2. You're prepared for the worst -- and the best.

Depending on what big chance you're thinking about taking, there could potentially be very negative and very positive side effects or results. When you're ready and willing to face the possibility that taking this chance could lead to either outcome and you've prepped yourself as much as possible to handle anything that comes your way when it comes to this decision, that's a good indicator that you're ready to take the big plunge.

3. You've talked it over with someone you trust and taken a moment to process their opinion.

Taking a big chance can be a very scary thing to do and, sometimes, it's good to have multiple perspectives on whatever risk or decision that is rattling around in your brain case. Having someone in your life whose opinion you trust and respect is an invaluable resource here. Talk over your thoughts on this potential decision with someone you value, but make sure you're honest, both with yourself and the person you choose to speak with. If you sugarcoat the situation or leave out details, it may appear as though you haven't considered the situation realistically. Whatever this person's opinion, make sure you process it fully. Even if you two disagree on the best course of action to take, it will still be helpful to get a second opinion from someone who you know from experience is a trusted confidant and friend.

4. You're secure.

This one can be applied to just about anything. It could be a personal security in yourself and your ability to make smart decisions, or at least learn from your mistakes. It could be a sense of financial security so you know whatever happens, you won't break the bank. It could be a sense of support and caring from your network of friends and family around you. Whatever security means for you, and whatever specific sources of security this chance might require, it's important to make sure you're at a place in your life where these things are readily accessible, where you have the necessary safety net if things go south, or even if you just need a helping hand on your way to success.

5. You don't feel pressured.

If you feel that someone is pushing you into making this decision, or forcing you to contemplate a change you don't feel ready for, that can be a serious sign that it may not be the right time to take this big leap. Making decisions for the sake of other people can be a very tricky process to navigate, and one that is arguably an inherently negative experience. Make sure if you're taking a big risk it's for you, and not because someone else is pushing you around for the sake of their own agenda. Letting someone bully you, emotionally, physically, or psychologically, into something you don't want to do is never a good way to make a good, stable decision.

Even if you manage to check every item on this list, taking a chance can still be an overwhelming endeavor. I'll be honest, even if every single thing on this list is already something you've completed or considered, I can't say for sure this article is your "sign" to move forward or not. In fact, it probably isn't. But if you know what you want, if you're willing to sacrifice, and you're prepared and secure in yourself and ready to move forward, then congratulations, that is your sign.

I cannot guarantee that whatever risk you want to take will play out perfectly. No one can. But you do have control. You are the only one who knows what you really want, what opportunities and experiences you need to chase to be happy. So go ahead. Be brave. Know yourself. And if know what you want -- if you're ready, don't hold back. Take the plunge.

I wish you luck on your fantastic adventures.