Five Quotes By Powerful Black Women

Recent events have gotten me down. With the violence due to police brutality and injustice, I can't help but feel hopeless and fearful. I often wonder: can we make a change, can we overcome this, or will it always be the same? It is hard to find positivity in times such as these. However, I've turned to five quotes by five powerful and inspirational black women for wisdom in these dark times.

1. It's not the load that breaks you down, it's the way you carry it. - Lena Horne

2. It is not our differences that divide us. It is our inability to recognize, accept, and celebrate those differences. -Audre Lorde

3. It’s not about supplication, it’s about power. It’s not about asking, it’s about demanding. It’s not about convincing those who are currently in power, it’s about changing the very face of power itself. - Kimberle Williams Crenshaw

4. We can say "Peace on Earth." We can sing about it, preach about it or pray about it, but if we have not internalized the mythology to make it happen inside us, then it will not be. - Betty Shabazz

5. All great achievements require time. - Maya Angelou