5 Lifestyle Changes To Make Yourself Healthier

Your physical and mental health should be your top priorities.

16

For the past couple of months, I have taken notice of some new weight on my body that wasn't there before. I haven't really ever been the type to consistently be unhappy with my body, but lately, I've realized I am more down on myself with this weight gain than I assumed I would be.

Because of this, I have decided to challenge myself to be healthier and pay more attention to what I am eating. It is important for people to take care of their mind and body. We were given these vessels for a reason. We all have a place in this world, we all have something of value to offer to others, and we won't have the opportunity to do this if we don't take care of ourselves.

So, the following five things are changes in my habits that I am challenging myself to commit to. Hopefully, these changes will become habits and my body will be back to a healthier level.

1. Schedule out your week to fit in time to workout

I recently made a weekly schedule so that I could focus on my obligations as well as make time for some working out. This will both make me work on my body consistently as well as help relieve some stress. Weight gain is often in part due to stressful situations, even if you don't realize it. So, the plan is to work out three days a week, where I am using the Nike+ Training app, which has hundreds of workout plans so you can find just the right ones for you!

2. Eating healthier - obvious, I know, but legitimate

Everyone knows that eating healthier is the most basic part of taking care of yourself. I used to be much more active than I have been these past few months, and because of this, I actively worked off the snacks I was always eating. However, now these carbs and fats just add up and I don't realize how important being active really is. Now I am planning to eat a small, healthy breakfast and lunch, make sure dinner is a balanced meal, as in not every dinner meal being a frozen tray of food that I can microwave. Additionally, I am substituting all of my basic snacks and drinks, such as Hot Cheetos and Sweet Tea, with more portioned options. Fruits, blue corn chips, trail mix - small changes that make a lot of difference. (For those who know me, they are aware that this is a huge sacrifice for me because Hot Cheetos are my life).

3. WATER WATER WATER

Good old H20, coming through in any situation. Drinking at least 64 ounces of water daily is what is generally recommended, but one can also calculate their specific daily water intake by multiplying their weight by 0.5 ounces. You can always get your daily water by the food you eat such as apples and oranges. Water keeps you hydrated and helps keep your skin clear, which is always a plus.

4. Be productive!

Seems weird at first, but when making that weekly schedule for when to work out, you can also schedule out when you're working, finishing projects or homework, etc. This also helps relieve stress and also makes you feel good about yourself when you notice how productive and mentally strong you're being. As we see our accomplishments, we automatically feel more motivated to make ourselves proud. That can't hurt you at all when you're trying to be more healthy.

5. Set a goal or something to look forward to

A lot of people use a cheat day on their diet as something to look forward to. Others promise themselves they will get a certain amount of time each day to watch their favorite show. Maybe use one night on the weekend as a day to go out with friends or family if you make good on your committments. Whatever if is, make it a realistic goal and one that can help motivate you every week to not give up.