5 Free to Play Games You Might Have Missed in 2016.

Wallet Hurting After the Holidays? Give it a break with these 5 free to play games!

23
Pixabay free images

In this list I will go over games that are free to download and play, with a brief overview. Of course, this is all subjective, so not every one will like every single game. Games can run a steep cost at 60$ for most standard titles, so sometimes when you're in college free games can be great while you're trying to kill time or have some fun. This list will include games across multiple platforms. I tried to include a variety of genres and so this game list should have something for almost everyone.

No. 5: Warzone 2100 (PC, PS1)

(in game screenshot)

This real time strategy game, released in 1999, was re-released as public domain in 2004 and has been consistently updated with gamefixes, patches, and various unit balancing. There is both multiplayer and a full (and lengthy) single player campaign. I played this game when I was younger on my PlayStation. I heard there was a reboot and I had to get it. The game has had new life breathed into it. It isn't a graphical masterpiece, but thanks to mods, there are many re-skins available to download for free as well. This game can be played on your PSP if you have it hacked (legally of course if you own the original playstation game). You just have to download and place the ROM file into your memory card. You can also download it from the official website here. The game is about 150mb all in all (without the cut-scenes.) You can even load the game on a thumb drive and boot it from there, no install required. The latest build has a few bugs in the campaign, but they are being combed through.

No. 4: GWENT: The Witcher Card Game (PC)

(in game screenshot)

For a lot of fans of the Witcher series, this game rings out as a really fun mini-game. Surprisingly the free release of this standalone card game is just as fun, and has a lot of depth for a card game. More information and download link here.

No. 3: World of Warships (PC, PS4)

(screenshot from F2P.com)

World of warships is a battleship based combat game your objective is to sink the enemy boats while not getting sunk yourself. It reminds me a lot of a free Battlestations: Midway. The problem I see with modern free to play game is the pay to play dynamic that has emerged from micro transactions. Similarly to World of Tanks this title is loaded with tons of unlockable units. There are various countries and ships that you can get just by playing, of course paying is an easy way if you're not into grinding for ships. You can put a lot of time into this game. Information and download for World of Warships is available here.

No. 2: Halo Online (PC)

(in game screenshot)

Like many millennials, I love Halo, so when I saw a free to play halo title, I was super excited! After some research I found that this game is region locked to Russia for now. I also found out that the game was cancelled, and there is no word if or when the US and other countries will see this title, but do not despair, I would not have put it on the No. 2 spot if you couldn't even play it. There are ways around this region lock (here). Somehow, despite being cancelled, people are still playing this game. I know that sounds crazy, but this game has had new life breathed into it.

No. 1: Paragon (PC, PS4)

(In game screenshot courtesy of Epic Games)

Paragon is a MOBA currently being developed by Epic Games. They have a few notable titles under their belts, including Unreal Tournament, and Gears of War. Epic is no stranger to cooperative and multiplayer games. When I first started playing Paragon I was blown away, I loved the game. It was still in Alpha, and I knew this is a game I wanted to stick around in. The user base is only growing and every Tuesday there are updates to the beta to retool and help the mechanics flow more smoothly. Every three weeks, Paragon releases a new hero and the roster is beginning to come together very nicely. I have found that I have a few favorites and go to, and I've had a chance to play as each and every hero at least once. I try to make an effort to branch out on these heroes to make sure I have a broad set of skill for future updates and more competitive play. I see a lot of potential in the Esports aspect of this game. This game is already making waves in the MOBA community, and it's almost a love or hate experience for most. I have never been into a MOBA before Paragon, and I had really only dabbled in games such as League of Legends, and Smite. I enjoy the genre a lot more, but after playing those MOBA's I've found that they don't engage me the same way that Paragon has. (full review here)

What do you think of this list? Have an F2P games that blow your mind? Sound off in the comments below, and as always, like share and subscribe if you are a fan of my work.