More Than Just A Fitness Fad: Why You Should Try Yoga Today

What's all the hype about yoga?

173
Krissy Antone / Instagram

Life can move really fast and feel hectic and extremely stressful. Some days may even feel overwhelming between trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle, excel in school/work, and sustain healthy social relationships. Studies have found the yoga can have mind (psychological), body (physiological) and spiritual benefits.

Yoga can benefit the mind through improved focus, reduced stress/anxiety, and improved sleep patterns. Physical benefits of yoga include increased flexibility, improved balance, the release of muscle tension and enhanced immune performance. Meditation and reflection, as well as strengthened self-awareness, are among the spiritual benefits of yoga.

These are just general benefits of yoga; you can find more specific benefits from different forms of yoga easily online, for example, hot yoga ("Bikram") burns a ton of calories and is great for weight loss. Different types of yoga are best depending on your own personal preference and goals. Enjoying yoga will help it become a part of your regular routine which will maximize benefits. I feel like this infographic is the best way to chose the best type of yoga for you!

The idea of trying something new can be intimidating or feel difficult to begin, but trying new things to better yourself will giving you a sense of accomplishment and may even increase self-confidence. The idea of starting a yoga regimen may seem daunting but there are so many resources that can help you learn about yoga. Google and Pinterest have tons of images and lists of yoga poses that you can use to form a routine. If you're feeling unmotivated on Pinterest, I even found yoga you can do in bed!

Websites like Youtube have videos of certified yoga instructors with a wealth of knowledge posting free instructional videos you can try at home. Another option is to look into attending local yoga classes at a local gym or community center. This is a great social opportunity to meet others interested in yoga as well as gain motivation to continually incorporate yoga into your daily life.

If you feel like you don't have a lot of time to commit to exercising or money to spend, you could incorporate yoga at home. Yoga mats are relatively inexpensive but even household items like towels or blankets can be used. Yoga routines can also be relatively short but effective especially in the morning to wake up and boost metabolism or to before bed to relax the mind and body to achieve deep restful sleep. When beginning a routine start small with a relatively short session of 15-20 minutes and gradually increase as you become more comfortable.

Yoga is a great form of exercise because anyone of any age or fitness level can do it! It's low-impact exercise that can be as easy or as challenging as you choose to make it. Adding a yoga session to your day can vastly improve how you feel, so why not give it a try?