Here's Everything I Learned After My First Year in College
Life Stages

"It's a journey, not a one-step process."

71

College. How do I even begin?

I've learned that it's a really good place if you want to learn more about yourself and your likes and dislikes. Me, being the naive high schooler I was, thought that I had my life sorted out. I had my set group of forever friends, I knew what I wanted to major in (International Business if you were curious) and I wanted to move out of the United States once I graduated and live in London. Since then I have changed my major, decided that I couldn't be that far from my family and lost some friends but thankfully gained some amazing ones along the way.

It's a journey, not a one-step process.

Being in college has taught me that you're not going to keep up with everyone that you were close to back home. It's painful to hear but it's the truth. In the beginning, you'll talk to them as much as possible, if not more than you did in high school but once you get into your routine it starts to become more of a challenge. Every once in a while you will get a text from them saying "Hope everything is going well" or the classic "I miss you" which will make your day 10x better, but its hard to talk to someone 24/7 especially if you're on different schedules. You just have to be realistic with what to expect. It was something that I struggled with too at times. You just have to make time for the ones that matter and who make time for you as well. Call them, text them, FaceTime them, do whatever you can to stay in touch with the ones that put in as much of an effort as you do. It has taken me years to understand that a healthy friendship won't work if you're putting in a hundred percent and they're only giving you half in return.

It's okay to go home on the weekends. Nowadays, I feel like college kids feel like it's not "cool" to go home on the weekends. But why would you pass up on a bigger bed, a home cooked meal and cuddling with your dog (or whatever pet you have)? Since going to college, I've grown an appreciation for my hometown and have learned not to take for granted everything that I had at my fingertips. Every once in a while I'll go home and visit all my friends who are still in high school or go see my neighbor who still runs into my arms every time I'm walking up my driveway. I've learned to appreciate my dog barking at me every time she wants to lay on the bed with me or having my mom call my name from downstairs and then after responding it's like nothing was ever said. You learn to appreciate the little things after being in college for a couple months.

The most important thing that I've learned though is if you close your eyes, even for a second, it'll all be over. It feels like yesterday, I was unpacking my boxes and preparing myself for the first day of classes. Time flies when you're having fun, but also stressing over that Biology test that you have on Thursday. You have to appreciate all the jokes and memories that are happening in that cramped 7th-floor dorm room which is trying to squeeze in WAY too many people. Or appreciate the walk up Mount Everest by your dorm building that you hate but know you'll miss once you don't have to make it anymore. It's really hard to appreciate these things when they become your routine but before you know it, you're going to be crying to your best friend about how you miss everyone and wish you could go back.