Moving out can be fun and scary but totally worth it.

For the College Kid Afraid To Move Out on their own For the first time

New starts can be scary and hard, but nothing would be exciting if it wasn't.

216

Moving out can be hard no matter the time, place, or age. Moving out for the first time can be even harder. At 21 years old I have moved out of my parents' homes. Right now it is hard, but in the long run I know I'll benefit from it and that I have made the best decision.

There are essentially three people moving out can be hard on. Those three are mom, daddy, and the child moving out. Number one is without a doubt mom.

There is no doubt that it is the hardest on moms when their baby moves out whether it's their only child or their sixth child. It's still tough. For me, I'm my mom's one and only pride and joy. I'm her baby and no matter how old I get I'll always be her baby.

My mom and I have a tight bond. We haven't always had that bond but in the last 5 years we've grown very close. She's my best friend. While it is hard on her it's not as hard as it could be. When I was 15 I moved to live with my daddy, so I haven't seen her on a daily basis. However, once we are together for a period of time we don't want to leave each other.

That's why day two of living in my apartment will turn into night three of her spending the night with me and I'm perfectly okay with that.

Number two is daddy. Like I said I've lived with him since I was 15. So right now it is a little tough me leaving. However, him being the dad he's more capable of letting go. He has helped move all the furniture in and make sure everything is just the way his little girl wants it, so for now he's okay with my being gone.

Finally, the child. In this case the child is 21 years old and has never lived alone. I've loved living at home but at this time in my life it is just better to live on campus and it makes more sense.

Did I want to move out, yes and no. Yes, being that I wanted to be independent, wanted to be around all my friends, and didn't want to drive thirty minutes home after being on a bus all night with softball. No, being that it's a huge responsibility.

Living on your own is a huge responsibility and while I am scared I know that I can accomplish being alone. If you're afraid of moving out don't be. It'll be fine and home will always be home, but now it's time to start your own home.