The First Superhero I Ever Knew: My Dad

The First Superhero I Ever Knew: My Dad

Dads have special powers that no one else does.

12
The First Superhero I Ever Knew: My Dad
Abbie Altamirano

Now before I begin, I would like to say that this was purposely written not on Father's Day. I did this because my dad does not deserve one day, he deserves a million. He deserves more than one day of recognition.

If your childhood was like mine, my dad was the fun guy. He fixed the lawn and all my broken toys. He was my superhero. He could pick me up and fly me around the house, his hugs could stop my tears and his imagination was as big as mine. I loved that we could be goofy together but he could also make me feel so safe. When I was little my dad had super strength and multiple powers in my eyes. Hearing now how he juggled school, work and taking care of me sounds like a super power in itself, but he did because he's a super dad and would do anything for me

As I grew older the idea of him as superhero and more of a villain came to mind. I was given chores, rules and curfews. I was grounded and yelled at and told what to do. Then, it seemed like the superhero days were gone.

But looking back on it, he was still the superhero. He fought through my horrible teen years. He stood his ground and made me stay on track. Sometimes everyone needs a little bit of tough love and he knew that. It was part of his "powers", he knew what I needed. Without him I wouldn't have done so well in school, stayed in sports, and done countless extracurriculars. Without all of that I wouldn't have been able to go to the college of my dreams.

Now, being in my early 20's I'm slowly realizing that he will always be my superhero. He will always cast me up to reach my goals. He will always have his special powers to tell me exactly what I need. He will always have his super strength to keep me grounded. He will always be there for me, rain or shine, night or day, lows and highs.

So to my superhero of a dad, thank you. Words can't express the love and thankfulness I have for you. I will never understand how you juggled school, graveyard shift at work, and never missing one of my events. You have given up so much for me and given so much to me. You are my rock, the first man in my life, and my favorite superhero. My hope is that I'm am half the parent you are.

Love you to the moon and back,

Your Daughter