Thank You, First Semester
popular

Thank You, First Semester

living and learning through a freshman's eyes

2038
Thank You, First Semester
Alex Newman

It feels like just yesterday I was moving into college-- unloading tons of boxes in the sweltering Florida heat. I was meeting new people every direction I turned my head and overcome with nerves at the thought of living on my own. I think back to the first night when I slept just my roommate and me. Meanwhile, my parents were back on a plane home. It’s frightening to go from sleeping in your own home to a new environment with a new person. However, here I am, (almost) done my first semester and can confidently say college has been everything I expected and more.

To my roommate: Who knew that two girls with one mutual friend could make such great roommates? Thank you for keeping our room spotless clean at all times. Thank you for taking care of me after a wild night or when I was so utterly sick. Thank you for letting me ask you a million times if my outfit, hair and makeup look good. Thank you for being my second mom even when you didn’t realize it—encouraging me to make my bed every morning, keep my area clean, empty out the fridge when things go bad and go to bed at extremely reasonable hours. Thank you for sending me all of your amazing food pictures. Thank you for being there for me.

To the girls next door: On move-in day there were parents and boxes everywhere. However, in the chaos of it all, one of your moms stopped to introduce you guys to me and my roommate. We thought, “hey we made friends on our floor” and not much more of it. What I failed to realize is that you guys would be the only way I could survive dorm life. Whether it is leaving our doors unlocked, sharing each other’s clothes or showering all together, I could not have survived the freshman struggles without you guys. So, thank you. Thank you for not only being the girls next door, but also my best friends.

To my sorority: Rush was a stressful, sweaty time. It was filled with nerves and anxiety about not ending up where I wanted. However, everything worked out and I could not be happier. Thank you, Delta Phi Epsilon, for giving me the greatest friends and sisters. Thank you to my sisters who stay at meals the FULL hour laughing and chatting. Thank you to my big who is the older sister I have always wanted. Thank you to my sisters who live for Friday’s brunch and BBQ. Thank you to my sisters who live for Pi Lam, TEP (rip) and herb roast.

To game days: Saturdays are for the gators—no ifs, ands or buts. Game day is truly the greatest day of the week. Thank you to my friends who let me raid their gator gear to find the perfect outfit. Thank you to TEP (rip) mac n’ cheese for being the best food to eat on game day. Thank you to Pi Lam for providing many elevated surfaces. Thank you to my friends who endured the sweat and exhaustion of running frat to frat every Saturday. What I failed to realize about game day is that by the time you go to enter the game, you are too hot and tired to endure the whole game. There is truly nothing better than racing back to your dorm to shower after a long day.

To Fat Daddy’s: Thank you for being my go to place every Wednesday. Thank you for making blue slushies. Thank you for being the grossest, sweatiest, most crowded place I have ever been. Thank you for allowing me to designate a pair of shoes as my “fats shoes,” so that no other pair of shoes will ever be that dirty. Thank you for being conveniently placed next to Pizza By the Slice for the perfect snack at the end of the night.

To Marston 4th floor: Thank you for being an amazing study place when there are absolutely no seats in Library West. Thank you for teaching me patience when waiting in the unbelievably long Starbucks line downstairs. Maybe not a thank you for being so unbearably hot and for having minimal outlets. Thank you for being so conveniently close to Broward.

To Lazy Laundry: Thank you for being the most amazing thing to ever happen to me. Thank you for picking up my laundry at the touch of a button and for bringing it back perfectly folded. Thank you for not making me endure the pain of the freshman laundry room. Thank you for being on a friendly, first-name basis every time we see each other.

While this might be only the end of one semester, I have learned so much. I have made amazing friends and gotten to create memories I will never forget. Now that the nerves have gone away and we have all settled in, second semester can only bring more fun.

Thank you, UF, for becoming a place that I will miss so much over winter break.