An Open Letter To My First Love

An Open Letter To My First Love

"Do you still think of him?" "Every day."

26
An Open Letter To My First Love
Tumblr

First things first: wow, it has been a while. However, I am not here to talk about that. For a change, I want to move past the usual thoughts of “I miss you” or “I wonder how you have been,” and reflect on all the ways that you, my friend, have changed my life forever. So here goes my shot.

Thank you.

Thank you for playing a large role in a chapter of my life. Without you, I believe that chapter would not have been nearly the same. Thank you for coming into my life, and showing me what it was like to have someone special. Thank you for choosing me. Thank you for the great memories that will last me a lifetime. Thank you for the endless smiles and laughs. Thank you for not only being a boyfriend, but a best friend. Thank you for your listening ears and uplifting spirit. Thank you for all the times you supported me 100 percent. Thank you for getting me to try new things. Thank you for breaking me out of my shell. Thank you for making me feel safe. Thank you for being my very own role model, someone I can aspire to be like. Thank you for your humbled and patient heart. Thank you for making our relationship what we called “too good to be true.” Lastly, thank you for being you.

Although talking between us has become a rarity, it does not mean you no longer cross my mind. To be honest, it's actually ridiculous how much you still do. Quite often, whether it is on my way to classes, work, or driving through nearby towns, I always find myself passing by landmarks that hold special memories spent with you: the restaurant we had our very first date at, the parks where we hiked and adventured, the beach where we watched the sun set, the roads we drove on for hours, and the cemetery we stargazed in. I could not picture having such memories with anyone else. Because of you, I learned to worry less and live a little more. Because of you, I learned to take a risk worth taking. Without you, I would not have had a summer nor a fall of freshman year to remember. I have an abundance of appreciation for the reason that if it were not for you, I would not have found color in my dull, black and white world.

Nevertheless, life must go on, right? Until we meet again, I wish nothing but the best for you. I hope you remain who you truly are, and never change for anyone. I hope your dreams stay big, and you never settle for anything less than perfect. I hope you are happy and confident. I hope you and your family are in the best of health. I hope your dad remains reserved and supportive. I hope your mom remains enthusiastic and curious. I hope your brother remains always smiling and joking with anybody he encounters. I hope your extended family remains caring and kind. I hope your best friends stay entertaining and crazy as ever.

Sometimes, it is saddening to know you were just a chapter. A chapter that did not make the rest of my book. But perhaps chapters are not meant to last forever. Until I find the next best thing, just know you were my favorite chapter. Thank you for playing that role; now, on to the next one. I will remember you, always.