Your First Probably Isn't Your Last
Dating

Your First Probably Isn't Your Last

There's more out there then your high-school heartthrob.

325

I, like many other 15-year old girls in a relationship, thought that my high school boyfriend was the end-all-be-all of my existence. Your first real boyfriend: the one you're nervous to introduce to your parents, the one you put a little extra effort in the morning before school for, and the one that you think you will be with forever.

Truth is, the idea that is portrayed in rom-coms that you end up with the first person you have a legitimate connection with is a common misconception. Finding a love like that is rare (trust me, my roommate has it and it's unlike anything you've ever seen), and just because he isn't the one doesn't mean you won't find the one.

Growing up in a small town, I felt the pressure of finding that special someone and developing a relationship that would last a lifetime. My sophomore year in high school, I met a boy and for the next four years, I put up with things and let things go just to keep him around. I would stray from confrontation because hey, he was the love of my life, right?

What these movies don't tell you is that sometimes the first boy that you love and care for isn't the one for you. These people are put in your life for a reason and if you do grow apart, then it is all a part of a bigger picture. The person that I was once with had changed immensely but I thought that was just how it went. I spent four years of my life scared to see what else was out there and build new relationships with other people. I am here to tell you that just because they are your first love, does not mean that they are your last. There is so much more to love and relationships than the first boy that gave you a second look.

My advice to you is to be open. Life has a crazy way of throwing things at you when you least expect it, but take those opportunities and run with them. Meet as many people as you can, form deep friendships and relationships with the people that make you feel the most yourself, and lastly, never settle. You have your whole life to find that one person who makes a day without them seem unbearable. Find out what you like and what makes you the happiest and find someone who appreciates that. Don't let the fear of the unknown hold you back from growing into your full potential and finding someone who brings out the best in you.