My First Job Was At An Escape Room
Life Stages

My First Job Was At An Escape Room And I Loved It

And I wouldn't trade it for anything else.

213

For my first job, I didn't work at a fast-food restaurant. I wasn't a waitress. I wasn't a babysitter. I wasn't a barista at a coffee shop. I work for a family-owned escape room in my hometown, just outside of Orlando.

When I applied for my first job, I was a second-semester senior in high school who had already committed to moving two hours away to a university in the fall, meaning that I had 6 months to work before I moved away.

Needless to say, I didn't expect any company would hire me, being that I was moving so soon and had no experience.

My parents didn't want me to get a job during high school, claiming that it would rob me of my youth and that I have the rest of my life to work, but I felt the need to establish a sense of responsibility for myself beyond simple household chores. I wanted to get used to spending my own money.

I hadn't expected to get an interview, much less be hired for the job, because I applied through a job search website with a cover letter, my resume and just a few clicks of a button.

But when they called me in for an interview and later told me I'd gotten the job, I was very pleasantly surprised.

I never expected it to change my life the way it has.

Through my first job, I found a greater sense of self; coworkers who, although each a few years older, treat me as a friend and an equal; a great support system; and experience that will last a lifetime.

I used to be a more introverted person who struggled with communicating (hard to believe for a writer, right?). I made a number of mistakes during the first few weeks at my job, learning the ropes- including locking myself in a pitch-black room on accident. But luckily, I made it through. I became more open. It became easier for me to communicate with coworkers and guests. I even learned how to use a power drill. Yes, sometimes I still make mistakes- as does everyone- but I am able to work quick on my feet, help those who need it, fix (almost) anything that needs fixing, and do it all with a smile.

I had loved escape rooms before starting; I even played all of the games offered where I work before I thought of applying. But being on the other side has made me appreciate all of the work that goes into it. From first developing the concept to executing its creation to facilitating its user experience, there are many components, many minds, many different areas of talent and many hours of work that play into a group of guest's single-hour experience at our business.

Not only was I taught responsibility and what it means to be a hard-working employee, I was also taught how to be a good friend, how to get through rough days loaded with mistakes, how to think quickly and respond to problems that arise. I was shown just how special a work family can be if you put in the effort. I learned just how valuable it is to have people backing you, even from two hours away (I'm writing this right before heading in for a closing shift while I'm home for spring break).

I am so very grateful to be part of the company that I am, to work under and with so many talented and incredible individuals, and to always know that even though I spend half of the year in Gainesville, I'm not forgotten.