Fridays in Phoenix: The Monthly Party on Roosevelt Row You Don't Want to Miss

Food trucks, rising musicians, talented artists, and so much more. There's only one place where you can find all this excitement and that's at the First Friday Art Walk in the heart of downtown Phoenix.

238
Photo by Salma Reyes

Every first Friday of the month, the streets of downtown Phoenix come alive with dozens of eye-catching art installations, delicious food trucks, and artists of all mediums. Roosevelt Row becomes the heart of the arts of Phoenix. This open-air market delights visitors of all ages and interests. The event showcases the lifeblood of art and culture that makes Phoenix the amazing city it is.

Roosevelt Row is Phoenix's art district and is home to a myriad of local businesses, art galleries, and historic landmarks. First Friday makes this already tourist-friendly art district even more attractive to visitors. With its eclectic blend of attractions, Roosevelt Row has been recognized as one of the most dynamic areas of downtown Phoenix. The intersection of modern arts and Phoenix's old-town charm makes for this strikingly unique pocket of arts in the middle of this metropolitan capital.

One of the distinctive features of Phoenix's beloved arts district is the beautiful murals that adorn the avenues. With a different artwork on every wall, the murals lead visitors on a vibrant path down the avenue.

Stopping for a coffee break in front of artist, PUNKWASP's mural.Photo by Salma Reyes

First Friday is the perfect place to take a walk and enjoy all the wonderful street art that Phoenix has to offer. Each mural splashes colors onto the brick walls and gives a new life to the historic buildings of downtown.

First Friday is a big night for business for food trucks in the valley. The streets are lined with vendors serving up the best of food truck fare. Some food trucks, like 2 Fat Guys Grilled Cheese and Cousins Maine Lobster, are a First Friday staple. But every month, new food trucks join the lineup of award-winning chefs. These tasty trucks serve up quick bites every month! With so many options, visitors are sure to find a food truck to satisfy their appetites!

Art Installation displayed at Modified Arts art gallery.Photo by Salma Reyes

Of course, we can't forget the most important part of the event- the artists! First Friday wouldn't be the creative celebration it is without the dozens of artists working to display their work and share the arts in the community.

A prime example of an artist bettering the community through their art is spray paint artist, Gypsy.

Gypsy has been displaying her work for visitors to enjoy shortly after she took up spray paint art around two years ago. Her display is both an art exhibit and a show in itself. Visitors watch in awe as she spray paints her works before the audience and leaves them for display as they dry. She shares that she enjoys the experience of allowing people to "watch the painting get done as opposed to seeing it hanged somewhere."

Both valley locals and tourists alike are enchanted as they walk by her display. She shares that her "Arizona Sky" series, which captures the breathtaking sceneries of Arizona, is the most popular among tourists.

A piece from artist Gypsy's "Arizona Sky" series.Photo by Salma Reyes

Gypsy draws artistic inspiration from all around her, as she believes that "life is full of inspiration."

Gypsy's display adds a splash of color to Roosevelt Row.Photo by Salma Reyes

Her exhibit adorns the street with vibrant hues and gives visitors a taste of Arizona's lively art scene.

The next time you're in the Valley of the Sun, consider taking in the diverse arts and entertainment that Phoenix has to offer at Roosevelt Row's First Friday event.

Special thanks to artist Gypsy.

Follow Gypsy on Instagram and Facebook.