My First Day As An Intern

My First Day As An Intern

Nerves and excitement are in abundance this day.

1768
My First Day As An Intern

Any new major experience in life causes for excitement and nervousness, and the first day at a new internship is no different.

As a senior in college, with aspirations to be a journalist, I soon realized how important real-world experience is to getting a job after school. Many employers look closely at the work you have accomplished in a business setting and will make hiring decisions based off of that. Therefore, obtaining an internship is a crucial part to anyone's college career aspirations.

This past week, I started an internship at a local news station, WHDH-7 in Boston. As my emotions ran rampant, I was able to learn a lot in just one day of being there.

Here is what I experienced on my first day of my internship:

The Commute
Nothing made me more nervous than being afraid of not finding where to go. As someone who grew up in a small town, venturing off alone into a city like Boston was nerve-wracking. Making sure I caught the train and then navigating through the streets made for quite the adventure. Thankfully technology can be the ultimate lifesaver, and my phone's GPS helped me to get to where I needed to be.

Meeting the Co-workers
There are so many fascinating people that work at a news station, all with different stories and such amazing roles. Being able to meet people from all departments, ranging from engineering to news anchors, was truly eye-opening. The variety of jobs and hard work that gets put into a television station is incredible.

Watching the Action
On my first day, I got to watch the station film the live news at noon. I was in awe the whole time. I got to watch from above everyone doing their role in order to make the broadcast go smoothly for all the viewers watching. This was such an amazing experience for me.

Learning my Role
As an intern, there is sure to be work that needs to get done. It's nice to know that no matter how small the task may be, you are helping out the whole team in some way. It is also important to remember that you need to start small in order to work your way up.

Realizing How Blessed I am
Not everyone gets the opportunity to intern at such a pristine and well-known place. Realize how lucky you are to be there, and understand that this is an opportunity of a lifetime. Take the time to embrace everyone there and soak in any information that they will give you. Lastly, appreciate your direct boss. They are there to help you along the way, for they want you to succeed just as they did. So, thank you, Karamarie Joyce, for this amazing oppurtunity; I am forever grateful.