The Ultimate First Date Survival Guide

The Ultimate First Date Survival Guide

Some helpful tips to make sure your first date is perfect!

126
The Ultimate First Date Survival Guide
Wikimedia

College is an interesting mesh of people. There are no two students with the same exact experience. Diversity at university comes in a million different ways from race to gender to sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, Hogwarts house, taste in music and experiences had romantically, emotionally and sexually.

This last source of diversity is where many people find interesting relationships and conflicts where one would not normally expect to find them. We all know someone who has never so much as held hands with someone else and we also all know people who are serial romantics or are trying to get their body count as high as they can as quickly as they can.

While other people are just trying to survive. This particular fact makes dating in university particularly hard especially when everything moves so fast yet so slow at the same time. So as dating has become difficult, it is time to pack your first date survival guide.

1. Anxiety and confidence to counteract your anxiety.

You need to be confident but not too confident that it is off-putting. You need to have a certain level of unknowing and nervousness in order to properly get to know the other person. You need to be willing to share but not over share so a comfortable or even uncomfortable balance is always necessary.

2. An interesting story or two.

Particularly if you or your date or nervous and you are worried about a lull in conversation or you are unsure of what you have in common as interesting stories allow for you to share without oversharing and open the conversation to light prodding and a more interesting and interdependent dialogue.

3. A nice smile and a few laughs.

This is more important than the clothes you have on and a smile signifies a good and positive attitude that is vital when meeting new individuals and potentially entering a relationship or changing the status of yours. As little orphan Annie says, “You’re never fully dressed without a smile.”

4. Animal pictures.

Nothing brings people together like animal pictures and if you have pets or a favorite animal and they hate your pet or animal then KICK THEM TO THE CURB RIGHT NOW. They are not worth your time and energy. Forget the beach test do the pet test.

5. Know what the intentions are.

Talk about what you want and what they want and make sure that they do not conflict. Do not do anything you are uncomfortable with because you do not owe anyone anything love. Just make sure you know what you are both in it for and know your and the other person's limits physically and emotionally.

Life is stressful and sometimes dating can seem unbearable but you got this. Do not stress out over it. You like each other enough to go on a date and talk to each other, you will be fine. Avoid politics, money and religion on a first date and you’re golden. Breathe.

Count back from ten. And sing along to the radio, just have a good time. Make it worth your time even if the person isn’t. This is your life and the only person who truly matters in it is you.