First Date Conversation: Do's And Don'ts

One of the best ways to get a conversation started on a first date is to ask questions. You can ask questions about the best gift, your date's favorite book, or something completely random. The goal of this question is to gauge whether or not the date is ready to talk about religion, a topic that may be off-limits to you. It can also reveal whether or not the date is generous.

2351

Questions to Ask on a First Date

One of the best icebreaker questions on a first date is the "would you rather..." question. A typical first-date question, these icebreakers can be silly or deep. Regardless of what your date says, make sure you take notes. If you are unsure what to ask, try a few common questions that will help you get a feel for your date and their personality. Listed below are some examples of questions that you can ask on a first date.

Keeping the Conversation Flowing

A good way to keep the conversation flowing on a first date is to have a list of questions you can ask. By asking these questions, you can get to know the other person better and get to know their interests and personality better. Just make sure to keep the questions casual and conversational. People appreciate the effort you make to make the date more memorable and interesting. If you're unsure of what to ask, start with some popular first date topics, like sports or music.

Building Rapport

The most effective approach to building rapport on a first date is to focus on simple, yet impactful techniques. For example, you should try to keep your criticism to yourself and only share helpful information when the other person asks for it. Likewise, you should emphasize positivity and facilitate openness by using gestures and body language. Lastly, if you want to make a good impression, you should practice being genuine and honest.

Favorite Music

There are plenty of topics to talk about on a first date, but what do you choose? Food and music are universal topics that bring people together and spark conversation. Everyone has an opinion on their favorite genre or artist. Talking about favorite music can help you break the ice and fill awkward silences. Plus, music is universal and easy to talk about. So here are a few ideas to spark conversation.

Favorite TV Shows

If you're stuck with conversation topics for a first date, try talking about your favorite TV show. While it may sound silly, TV shows can be the perfect starting point to share some of your interests and learn more about each other. By talking about your favorite show, you can also provide your date with an alternative perspective on your interests and hobbies. Watching a TV show with your date is a great way to ease the pressure of arranging a date.

Favorite Books

If you're on a first date and want to know what to talk about, consider bringing up your love of books. Book lovers have many favorites and they love sharing that enthusiasm with you. A simple question such as "What are your favorite books?" is sure to open up a whole new world of conversation. Besides reading, book lovers also have guilty pleasures, so why not share those with your date?