I Just Finished My First Year At FGCU And It Was Amazing

I wouldn’t have traded my experience for the world.

356
MaryLynne Boyd

Florida Gulf Coast University: a place that over a year ago meant little to me, it was just the college I chose. Now, to me, it's everything. About a month ago I took my last final and said goodbye to the people who became family. Since finishing my first year, I've realized just how amazing of a first year I had.

At FGCU I was able to become my own person, it's weird. You are living of course, but in college, you get to see the world. You wake up one day in your dorm room and realize that there are endless possibilities out there. You understand that you are in control of your life and that the only person standing in your way is you.

I wouldn't trade my experience at FGCU for anything in the world. This school has given me so much, so much more than "just an education."

Looking back I realize how much I've grown, I entered SoVi a timid freshman, who was focused on going to the beach and making some friends.

FGCU has given me life long friends, it's given me sisters. It helped me find a career path that actually interests me, it has given me support when I needed it.

It has given me endless opportunities, I have been able to live my own life.

I remember crying my first week of college, I was doubtful if this was truly the place for me, but I promise you, if you look at all the campus offers, you'll see this is the right place to be.

I was able to get involved right of the bat, I was able to find my "thing."

For me, RHA was my "thing," I became apart of my buildings Area Council, and within it, we were able to create events and programs for our buildings and for all the residents of campus living. It felt good knowing that I could host an event that could make two strangers become friends. Housing gave me the strength when I needed it. With the campus living resident assistants are hired and trained to help make your experience within housing be the best it can be. My RA in specific went above and beyond for me and every resident she encountered. Serena, you truly helped me become the person I am and I can't thank you enough for all you've done for me.

You'll notice at FGCU, the people genuinely love their job. At every office, building, event, there's faculty and staff who genuinely care about you and the school. One woman in specific who has the most heart and soul I've ever seen is the Assistant Director of South Village. Her name is Lindsey Johns. You will see her at every event that is related to RHA. She always has the biggest smile on her face and she has a heart of gold. The love she has for housing and her job is immense. When you are surrounded by such motivated and happy people who want nothing but for you to succeed, you can't help but want to be the best version of yourself.

My RA inspired me to want to be a part of the housing community and because of her and how much I want to be apart of the freshman year experience, I was able to get a position being an RA in Biscayne, a first-year residence building.

At FGCU, your freshman year is crucial, as it is your first time really experiencing the world both good and bad. My advice to you is to just appreciate it and get involved. Find your place at this school, because there's a place for everyone.

I had a few bumps in the road and a few storms over the course of my freshman year, but honestly, I'm so ecstatic that I chose this school and have fallen even more in love with it.

FGCU, thank you for making me the woman I am today, I can't wait to keep growing with your help. You have allowed me to have endless opportunities and for that, I'll be forever grateful.

FGCU is the place to be. Here you want to succeed. You can find your place and your people if you just try. GO OUT TO THE EVENTS, join a club, play a sport, go through recruitment. Attend your hallway nights, talk to the people in your classes, utilize the resources offered. But most importantly, just have fun.

Thank you FGCU for an unforgettable year.