Fine Arts Are Academics

Fine Arts Are Academics

It's non-negotiable.

7
Fine Arts Are Academics
https://www.tumblr.com/search/textbooks+

Something that always has been important to me is Fine Arts Education, I have never been more passionate about something in my life. That may be because I love music, and I am currently making it my life in college, but it offers things that sometimes people don't realize, or might not even know.

There have been a lot of budget cuts in the public school systems, and most of the time the first thing to go is the fine arts programs in the school. I am here to inform you of something people may not realize: The fine arts programs in school are not just an "extra." They are academic classes that you can get life-long qualities from.

I spent most of my time in high school in the chorus room, on stage, in musical rehearsals, and learning conducting; I have never learned more things in my life (until I started studying music in college). Beginning students usually take chorus or beginning theatre for an easy "A" in the class, but when they start taking it, they find out it isn't so easy. It isn't hard: a lot of your grades in beginning classes are based off of participation but you learn things that you may not realize you are learning. Students will learn how to interact with others, learn how to work with people (they may not even like), being on stage (which helps with presentations), memorization, and many more. Being in choir has allowed myself to grow with every class, and every rehearsal. People often don't realize the commitment that us "fine arts" kids put in.

A lot of the time people don't think a choir class, marching band, theatre, or an art class is an "academic class." They are. Just like a English or Math class, there are tests, you have to memorize music, students have to spend hours creating art, and you learn to work with others. Being involved in these classes in high school provide you with useful life skills, and give you a break from the regular school day.

I went to public school all my life, and I realized that when I got to high school how different the money was actually split up with in each department. I bet you can guess which department had the most... athletics. As I say this people may think I am "hating" on the athletic department, I am not. I am simply stating facts that I learned with my experience.

I think athletics is just as important as the arts, I played a sport for two years in my high school career, and managed a sports team. I am saying that athletics get more money. Even if that aren't good, they get more money. I guess it's depending on what public school system you are in, but mine spent most on athletics. They do bring in a lot of money, but I am also here to tell you the students who are involved in threatre, musical, choir, band, art, and martching band work just as hard as an athlete. They have practice, we have rehearsal, and they have games, we have a show. All I am saying is that the money for each department should be split evenly. There are even athletes that are involved in the Fine Arts. Some departments may need more, but it should be more even. My teachers should not be buying our own set items for the musical, or borrowing microphones from other schools. Every department is important.

Just like playing a sport, each fine arts department teaches students skills that you can't learn by sitting in a desk. The main thing that I learned by being in these classes and being on a team is how to work with people. The hardest thing is learning to work with people that you may not even like them. In choir, band, and theatre you are a team, and you have to learn to be a team leader and player.

Another thing: being on stage. You may not thing that's a big deal, but it is. By learning to be comfortable on stage, it helps you to be able to comfortably stand and present in front of people. The fine arts can teach you these qualities that you will use, regardless of the career path you pursue.

Fine Arts education is imperative to educating well-rounded students. The characteristics you learn and gain as a fine arts students are things you will always use. The things you learn don't just apply to the arts, but can help you with college, working as a team, presenting in front of others. You wouldn't remove a math or English class from the public school curriculum, so why would you take away theatre, music, dance, or art?