Finding Your Tribe

Finding Your Tribe

Here are seven things to expect and experience when finding your tribe.

48
Finding Your Tribe

Before coming to Oklahoma City University I was told that I will meet my closest lifelong friends during my college career. This expectation of meeting wonderful people who just so happened to be compatible with my personality type and who cared for me and who wanted to spend time with me as much as I want to spend time with them was-- as you can see-- extremely daunting and seemed like a nearly impossible formation of coincidences.

But, it did happen.

I have found a group of friends who I know will be there for my wedding, I have found a support system that will be there for my first big heartbreak, and I have found a place where I feel free of judgment. Here are some things I wish I knew before finding these amazing friends.

1. They won't be what you expect.

When people told me I'd find my best friends in college, I was imagining some Emma Allan (Anne Hathaway) and Liv Lerner (Kate Hudson) pre-bride war level bffs. I was imagining that they would just be waiting for me at my school and it would be all pretty and perfect, but that wasn't the case. They were people I met toward the end of the fall semester and we immediately bonded because of a messy situation we were all placed in. We have those unattractive moments, but we know that we're all human and that we all love each other despite all the playful pranks we play on each other.

2. You for sure will have a friend crush on at least one of them.

One of my closest friends in my tribe was in my school's MainStage production of The Crucible. I remember going to see the show and after her (amazing) performance I just knew I had to be her friend. This will most likely happen with at least one-- if not all-- of the members in your awesome group of people. This is totally normal and they probably have a few friend-crushes too, so don't worry.

3. Don't be afraid to make a group name.

You'll all eventually feel a group ~impulse~ so to say to have a collective name. Now whether that be something decided formally or just through a group message, it'll happen. I remember I was sitting in the main hub of my tribe and my good friend randomly said "Awe I love you honeys" and it just stuck. And we've been "The Honeys" ever since, commonly calling our gathering place "The Honeycomb". Also, if you don't feel like doing this stage don't worry, but I mean c'mon group names are cool as heck.

4. Dont be shy of deep talks.

I know it's scary to be vulnerable with other people, especially if you've felt betrayed from some people previously in your life after doing so, but I guarantee that if the other person/group are worth your time then they will care and want you to be able to open up to them. (And want to open up to you as well).

5. You can for sure show up at their dorm at midnight with ice cream.

I get it. Everyone has those days -- especially in college. You can have three papers, two quizzes, and an extracurricular activity all in the same week-- not to mention the other pieces of homework, taking time to care for your body, and trying to get adequate sleep. I could go on and on about how horrible our society's pressure to be "the very best and not complain" is, but that would be a whole other article. At the end of the day, your friends are going to be there for you. They love you. They don't care if you've already eaten more than half of your weight in ice cream and have another two pints in your hand. They understand that you're human and that everyone needs a day to just vent and cry and be held. Trust them and they'll trust you in return.

6. Patience Is KEY.

Dude, I get it. I waited most of my life to find my "Honeys". I looked and looked and looked and could't find anything. And then, I stopped looking (but kept myself open and social on my campus) and I found them. I know it's a cliche and everyone hates being told this-- I know I for sure do-- but it is so worth waiting, which brings me to my last point...

7. They're worth every second.

Every failed group, nights of unanswered questions, and ounce of loneliness was worth it. I used to change who I was for the people around me, but it helped me to find these friends who accepted me as I am. There was a moment we had before we left for holiday break when we were all sitting in "The Honeycomb" and I just knew I was in "friend-love" with these people.

Find your tribe, and love them hard. It'll be worth it I promise.

All images thanks to giphy.com