Finding time for yourself during finals week

As the bustle of dead week and finals kicks up, we can often forget to care for ourselves. Here's a couple of ways to remember to be good to yourself during this time.

11

We can all get wrapped up in the process of studying and tying the loose ends before Christmas arrives, but with that sweeping motion, we can neglect ourselves. I want to give a couple pointers of what you can do for yourself during this time; you might even decide to implement them into your daily routine.

1) Learn something new

This can be a skill like cooking, learning a craft or trade like knitting, or even new makeup tricks. It can be refreshing to take a break from the difficulties that studying or even the mundane tasks through out your day can bring.

2) Take a warm bath or shower

Nothing feels better than allowing yourself some time alone to breathe and just relax. I like to use some eucalyptus shower steamers from Bath & Body Works to add something a little extra. It truly livens the place up to create a spa like space.

3) Get a good night's sleep

I know that this is not the first time you have heard this, but when it comes to brain function and recollection, you will perform better on that final exam if you get sleep, instead of staying up all night to cram. Sleep gives your body time to recover and prepare for the following day, so don't neglect a primary need you body needs.

4) Take a break to exercise

I find that after a solid run or jog that I more refreshed and can focus on my work better than before. You don't have to go for a run though. It can be a simple walk around the block, a yoga session, or even a nice stretch. It is vital to take a moment to get yourself moving, not only for blood flow but also it helps to reduce anxiety,

5) Binge watch a show

It can be relaxing to just sit back and focus on something besides your tasks. I do caution you though, because that one episode you were watching can easily turn into 5.

6) Create a time to mediate

It does not have to be intricate, but it can be a short and helpful way to recenter yourself. If you are new to mediation or would feel more comfortable with guidance, I have found that Meditation Studio by Muse is a very helpful guide.

7) Take a moment to be social

Call up a friend to meet up and just grab lunch, coffee, or chat for a minute on the phone. It can be very helpful to get your daily dose of social interactions from the people you care about, which will create a encouraging environment to get your work done in.

There are numerous ways that you can be proactive in your self care leading up to finals week, but each idea is purely subjective to you, If none of these work for you, then think about what does and do it instead. It is just a matter of finding what will for you. You may not be a tv person, so maybe a book or music would work better. It is all up to you. Self care is supposed to be empowering, so it is all in your hands, you have the power here. Go out there and rock everyone's socks off, pass those exams, and enjoy your holidays! Do not forget to love yourself, too.