We Are All Going To Be Okay After High School

Finding peace in the void.

30
Raja Sambasivan / Flickr

It’s senior year of high school. We’ve made it. We’ve survived this long chapter in our lives. In many ways, this is the end of the first chapter of our lives, the chapter of our childhood. We are now expected to make our own decisions and have things slightly figured out.

In a society that simply expects all its young people to attend university as a norm, choosing a different path can bring some weird looks and well-meaning yet contemptuous conversations from adults.

While all my peers are panicking over which university to attend in the fall and how their financial aid is going to pay for it, I have chosen to continue pursuing my English AA Degree at the local community college I already attend - talk about contemptuous conversations.

When asked if I’m going to transfer to a four-year school once I’m finished, my response is always, “I don’t know yet.” The truth is, I honestly have no idea what I want to do with my life, and I think it’s okay not have everything figured out right now.

Only nine months ago, this sense of floating and not knowing terrified me. The only thing I knew then was that I did not want to go straight to a four-year school after graduation, I did not want to do college like everyone else. I constantly went back and forth about going against the grain, questioning if my choices could negatively affect my future. I have now passed the point of no return, college applications are all well overdue, and I have to be committed to this decision.

Yet, surprisingly, I have such peace about it. No longer does there seem to be a sheer drop off a cliff after graduation into a void of nothingness, but rather a bridge to the next chapter.

So to all of us not going to a four-year school next year, we’re going to be okay! The greatest adventures always begin on the path less traveled.