Finding Your Inner Kid Again

Finding Your Inner Kid Again

Ice cream for breakfast and Disney movies all day long!

16
Finding Your Inner Kid Again
google images

Everyone always says that life gets better with age. In fact, life is often compared to a fine wine -- as the years pass, it gets better and better (as if a metaphor could get more adult). But I’m here to tell the world the truth: that’s a big fat lie. Growing up kind of sucks.

Sure it means you can drive, and drink (not at the same time obviously), and gamble, and do all sorts of other stuff that I guess you can say are “fun” things to do. But if we’re being honest, those things are really only fun because society is telling us that, as adults, these are things we now have to enjoy. But being an adult actually means being responsible, working, paying bills, cleaning up after yourself, running errands, being organized and on top of everything, and the list goes on and on. At the golden age of 20, I've decided that I’d rather not move into adulthood just yet, thank you very much. I’d much rather go back to being a kid, and if that means going to bed at nine o’clock and no dessert until I eat my vegetables, I say bring it on. So, it's time to find your inner child.

Finding your inner child is not as easy as one may think. It’s not a snap your fingers, poof, you’re a kid again type of situation -- it requires effort. I know what you’re thinking, effort is definitely not in a kid’s vocabulary, but trust me it will be worth it. The key is to throw all of your inhibitions out the window. All of them, every single last one, just chuck them out: they are now useless to you. A kid doesn’t care what other people think. If they did, then you would never see them eating dirt or picking their noses or running around without clothes on.

They would do it under the cover of darkness, like adults. Kids are perfectly happy running around in mismatched clothes with chocolate smeared all over their faces. They don't even realize that other people are judging them. That's the best part about being a kid. Well, that and chicken nuggets -- those things are amazing! So I say be crazy, don’t care what other people think about you. If you want to do something just do it. If you want to eat ice cream for breakfast, do it! If you want to wear stripes and polka dots, go for it! If you want to break out into a song and dance number in the middle of the street because you’re feeling good today, well then I’ll join you! That’s all you really need to do. Just take a second and stop caring, because the only person really holding you back is you. Right now, get up and go crazy and be a kid again.