Finding Dory: Was The Film Everything We Were Looking For?

A Finding Dory Film Review

89
Youtube

To start off and answer the question, yes, the film is everything and more. This was Pixar’s beloved treat that so many of us Pixar fans were anticipating with baited breath back in 2003. While during the years of waiting, Pixar and Disney have created a sequel that has been well worth the wait, well worth my ticket and well worth the heartwarming experience enough to fill an ocean full of feels.

First off, I will say that from the opening alone, I was already hooked. Seeing Dory’s parents and how they interact with their child is one of the most real and heartwarming things I’ve seen in film. They just love their daughter unconditionally, and while they are protective of her, they aren’t anything new we’ve seen from the outside view of normal parents, especially when they just hug their daughter and love her even though she still has her disability.

Then we are greeted as an audience slowly sinking down into the sea like in Finding Nemo and the beloved, talented composer, Thomas Newman welcomes us with one of his signature instruments, a flute that really brings out the sounds of light reflecting on the surface. All throughout the film, Newman once again brings out his musician’s eye to show you what an ocean sounds like with his piano, strings, and chimes. With his talent you can feel the emotion of this film as if touching the waves with your hands.

With the beginning presented, there are many nostalgic hints placed throughout the movie that will give you not only give small openings to beloved characters in the original. The same formula as the original story will be told, but in a fresh way. As far as the Hero's Journey formula goes that the film uses, we are still shown the dropout where Nemo goes missing, and seeing Marlyn freak out loosing anyone again, but gives in when Dory talks about how much she misses her parents, recalling how he missed his son.

The animation in this film is just beautiful, it really makes me want to be able to live under water just so I can keep reliving this film’s work. I’ve never seen ocean, reefs, even the close up on the scales of these fish and water plants when the light hits them is just lovely. The animators really dive in with the details of sand alone, even the Marine Institute. where the plot will take place, is well designed to show the audience that there is so much to look at because it’s a marine institute. With the decorations of the marine life, to the marine life, you can really feel at home with the fish in their habitats.

The voice acting is perfectly done by Ellen DeGenerous as always as she fits into the very scales that is Dory. I don’t how Ellen does it, but somehow I can really feel her as Dory from looking into the fish’s eyes, and even her colors fit DeGenerous’s warm yet energetic personality. Also, the rumor is true, baby Dory is the cutest little girl I’ve ever seen animated in my life, and her voice actress: Sloane Murray, does such an adorable job bringing out a sweet innocent voice that literally reflects the wonder of a child. Marlin is still voiced by, Albert Brooks who gives off the most worry-warted parent you’ll ever meet in the seven seas, but still gives a good heart and listening ear when needed. Nemo’s voice actor, Hayden Rolence does well too, really showing the determination of a child and willingness to help friends in need.

The new characters are just wonderful to watch. The smooth and bright colors of their bodies, they’re personality differences are a real treat. Wale speaking is brought to this film, with a whale shark, Destiny (voiced by, Kaitlin Olson) who can’t swim well being Dory’s “pipe pal” as a kid, a very clever touch to the innuendo “pen pal” since they lived in different tanks. Hank (voiced by Ed O’Neil) the octopus or “septipus” as Dory calls him. Pixar show’s his genuine personality from being afraid and closed up to people and fish, While he only comes off cold and pushing when helping Dory find her parents to get her tag she receives, to leave the aquarium, he ends up being softened by Dory’s bravery seeing a good influence and genuinely cares about helping her.

With Nemo now playing a big role in the story, you can see how well he helps to move the plot by pointing out things that his father doesn’t see such as often pointing out how to get out of situations or who to trust. While parents feel that they know more than their children, which in the most case they do, it’s nice to see how Pixar doesn’t allow children to just be mischievous or constantly energetic. Pixar shows that children are smart, and they are capable to helping out when many least expect it, hence the re occurring saying “What would Dory do” that follows through the plot after Nemo says that to his father when they get stuck trying to find her at the Marine Institute.

Even with Dory they show this so well it makes me feel happy to see her finding herself, which I feel was the main point of Finding Dory, not just her parents. At a young age, Dory while she is still struggling with her disability, she doesn’t give up.She keeps finding ways to help others and herself wither it’s melting the three hearts of her octopus companion Hank, or putting together a whole rescue mission saving her friends and family. Pixar shows that no matter what you have trouble with, be a disability or finding your way, you can still find a way out, this often is repeated through the film.

The comedic relief is great too, with the seals who help Marlin and Nemo barking at their neighbor who tries to sit on their rock, showing how territorial seals can be. There is even a crazy fighting bird, Becky who takes the place of the pelican from Finding Nemo, who helps them out, but still remains scatter brained. Baily the beluga whale is fun too with his echolocation and his voice actor really brings out his insecure sides and triumphant sides.

The symbolism is very well shown in this film as well. At the beginning we see Dory sleeping in her home next to Marlin’s which looks like a brain, matching her short term memory loss.

What was also awesome to see was a showing of a lesbian couple in the film. While there were some people freaking out of the showing of the couple, it was a great showing of the L.G.B.T community being recognized.

Without giving away the ending, I will say this, Finding Dory is just beautiful. The music doesn’t disappoint, the animation: gorgeous just like in Finding Nemo, the characters: “Unforgettable” which also is the ending theme of the film sung by the lovely Sia. The story: everything we were looking for as a well anxious audience for years.

Finding Dory was well worth the wait, and has now given many people who loved Finding Nemo a wonderful ending, and the youth who now see the story end with eyes wide open to the possibilities of “just keep swimming” when they too are lost in the sea of this world.