Finding Contentment In Disengagement

Finding Contentment In Disengagement

You're allowed to take a break from being busy.

21
Finding Contentment In Disengagement

As a 20-year-old college student, I am used to always having something planned every single day. It is so absolutely rare when I find a moment where I can calmly start my day without having a single commitment. You can ask any of my friends and they will tell you I would probably be going crazy. I have always loved being busy, interacting with people throughout my day and getting as much done as I can squeeze into a day that starts at 6 a.m. and ends at 11 p.m.

However, today is the first time I have decided to see what it was like doing nothing. A weird concept to think about: doing nothing. It is natural for us to want to maintain this routine of “go, go, go.” Honestly, this isn’t the best way to maintain a happy and healthy life. Whether they admit it or not, every single person deserves a day off from the stresses that life can bring. The older you get, the less breaks you feel like you have the opportunity to take. A lot of the time it will take an injury or unexpected event to really make you realize that you needed a break.

I have been able to take a step back and think about those things I kept putting off for something else more important. I can actually get ahead on things, so I won’t be as busy in the future. I can actually listen and engage in the conversations I am having without thinking of the hundred other things I usually have on my mind. I almost forgot what it was like to do things I loved. Take writing for instance. I used to keep a diary about everything I was going through in my life. It was my time to reflect on myself and evaluate how I was feeling. On my busiest days, how I’m feeling won’t even cross my mind. How scary is that? Not having time to actually ask yourself how you are feeling.

My goal for the future, and the way I want to live will from now on, is to dedicate personal “time off.” I have decided that it is OK not to get everything finished. The to-do lists don’t have to control your days. Prioritize the most important things you want to get done, but don’t let your relationships and personal life be at fault for your busy life. It’s not worth it to over-schedule your days and nights. You have to let go of your own desire of always having something to do. It’s sometimes nice to spend even just 15 minutes meditating, walking, taking a nap or organizing your closet. Little things that don’t take much time, but for some reason we don’t take advantage of them “because we could be doing something more productive.” It’s time to let that thought go.

You can start small if you are used to living a busy life. Taking a whole day off right away can seem overwhelming and then you might feel as though you are falling behind. Instead start with this website. It is two minutes of doing absolutely nothing. Just two minutes. Sit at your computer, phone or wherever you are reading this and spend those two minutes doing nothing. I promise you will understand how much better you feel. It clears your mind and reinforces creativity and efficiency.

For more information or insight please click here.