Find Your Passions And The Rest Will Follow

Find Your Passions and the Rest Will Follow

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your world on fire." -Jennifer Lee

50

For as long as I can recall, I've earned average grades in school, obtained average stats in sports, and have basically led an average existence. My parents have told me my entire life that if I just tried a little bit harder, I could get straight A's, have the best batting average, and pretty much change the world. Maybe these are things that all parents say.

As I've grown up, I've come to assume that my lack of trying was interchangeable with my lack of giving a damn. If being in college has taught me anything, it's that you must go after the things that excite you. That's where your passions are. The hard part is finding those said passions and turning them into something that compels you to move forward and improve.

One of my all-time favorite quotes was said by Disney film director Jennifer Lee. "Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire." The first time I heard it I remember thinking to myself: "That's what it's all about. That's why we're here." We're only allotted a certain amount of time on this Earth. Too many people go through life stressing about material things, or superficial issues. I feel that if you find your passion, harness it, and dedicate your life to grow within it, then you've done what you were put on this Earth to do.

As I said before, the hard part is finding that passion. I'm not sure if I've even come close to finding it, but I think recognizing that is a good start. It's made me more open to trying new ideas and things out of my comfort zone. Too often have I been scared about not knowing where I'm going in life. Recently, I've taken comfort in knowing that whatever happens to and for me is what was meant to happen. I can't control the world around me, but I can control how I react to it.

Adulthood is terrifying. Not knowing where you'll be a year from now is scary as hell, and I'll be the first to admit it. If you wish to live a fulfilling life, do what makes your heart feel whole. I've come to believe that everyone has a purpose in this world, whether it's massive or minuscule, and living for that purpose is the best way to make the most of your life.

So, go forth and find your passions, and don't be discouraged if it takes you years to find them. Some passions are more discrete than others. Just know that your self worth is not determined by the amount of money you have in the bank or the college degree you may or may not receive. It's measured by the amount of good you put out into the world. If you can find something you truly love to do, and it brings you and others happiness, what other purpose do you really need out of life?