The Financial Aid System Is Breaking And So Are College Students' Banks

As college becomes more expensive, families struggle to afford attendance because financial aid isn't providing enough for students.

6

Many students who apply to college have high hopes for success, but those hopes fade away when they do not receive enough financial aid to cover the cost of tuition. Many of these problems are due to the financial aid system itself and the requirements you must meet before receiving any type of aid. By changing the problems and issues within the financial aid system, any college would not only become a better place of education, but it would be a place filled with students who are genuinely motivated to do well in school so that they can continuously earn that financial aid year after year.

Many families cannot afford the price of college. Financial aid, however, can make college much more affordable. Financial aid doesn't just cover college tuition, but it also covers room and board, books, supplies, and transportation.

The first step in being granted financial aid is to apply for the FAFSA or the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. FAFSA determines how much college aid students receive, but there are several problems behind this system. FAFSA is not an easy form to fill out. The form consists of over 180 questions, which decreases the likelihood that American high school students will fill out the FAFSA at all.

This is a huge wakeup call.

This system behind FAFSA is way too complex and overwhelming for young students, which decreases their motivation to apply for financial aid in the first place. Students should be feeling empowered during this process because they know they're going to be able to afford college.

Potential students may also miss out on certain funds that might be essential to them attending college. If the University of Kentucky were to simplify the process of applying for financial aid, more students would feel inclined to not only fill out the application but simply apply to college in general. Failing to fix the financial aid process will significantly affect our country's economy as well.

By helping students obtain more financial aid, this will also assist them in earning college degrees so they can earn a steady income and contribute to the economy, too. This simple fix will immediately solve the problems that our country is guaranteed to face. In this day and age, college has never been more expensive than it is now, much to the dismay of students and parents.

All colleges would greatly benefit from making this change because application rates, as well as enrollment rates, would increase, and more students would feel enthusiastic about attending college under financial stability.

Overall, any college within the United States would become a better place if the financial aid system changed. Students would be more likely to attend the University of Kentucky for college and they would also be more likely to remain in college because earning financial aid would be simple.

Financial aid makes up a large majority of a student's concerns when it comes to college, and if universities were to make this change, it would become a better university and a place to call home for many more students.