Don't Give Us Financial Aid Just To Take It Away

After pouring over my acceptance letters and financial aid offers, I weighed the merits of each school with their corresponding price tag, and eventually I chose you.

21
graphiq.com

After pouring over my acceptance letters and financial aid offers, I weighed the merits of each school with their corresponding price tag, and eventually I chose you. You seemed to offer they best education with the best investment value. At first I was astonished I received such great aid from such a great school. I was thankful. Although the remainder was still a little more than what was comfortable, I--we, actually--my family and I decided on you.

We hesitantly approached you, with all the caution and skepticism necessary when dealing with institutions such as yourself. We wondered if my aid package would follow me through all four years and you assured us it would. With absolute certainty you assured us. So, albeit with trepidation, we signed the dotted line, accepted the aid and I signed myself up for BU. Next came the loans that are now in my name, and you nodded encouragingly, holding out your hand and beckoning for more.

With a sigh we handed it over, all for the sake of a good education, and hopefully, the promise of a career, a return on our investment. "NEXT!" you shouted, welcoming the students behind me, carrying their life savings in their hands only to deposit it in yours. Through all of this you gently cooed and soothed away worries, assuring us that although "unfortunately" tuition is on the rise and that there is absolutely nothing you can do, your aid will never decrease. But your pockets grew heavier as you spoke, causing quite scene when they broke, spilling loose change, checks, and bills all over the floor.

Yet here I am two years later and you take away what's mine. You try to take away my aid and my job, my job that helps to give you more money, ironically. You go back on your word, greedily demanding more, thousands more, from a family that makes less than you do in a month. What's worse is that that's not enough, you have and you will con others into the same bargain, you have and you will continue to take from others even more than you have from me. So to all the colleges and universities in the U.S., stop robbing us.