Figuring Out How Much "A Lot" Is When People Tell You 'Thanks. It Means A Lot.'

Shrinking the room for interpretation one phrase at a time.

5803

I was on social media the other day when my friend posted a status about feeling depressed and borderline suicidal. A bunch of their friends reassured them to let em know that everything’s gonna be OK and a myriad of other uplifting statements. In response, my friend commented back “Thank you guys for the support. It means a lot.” I know they meant well when saying this, but the phrase is so vague that I wanted to explore to what that statement actually means in terms of intensity and depth. I wanted to decipher the different tiers of "a lot" so I’ve decided to categorize the "it means a lot" phrase into 5 different tiers to examine just HOW appreciative people are when uttering this ambiguous statement.

Tier 1: “Thanks. Means a lot.”

This phrase is­ reserved for the people who don’t really have any business trying to relate to you on an intimate level, but you’d be a jerk to ignore their effort.

An example you would use this response for is if it were your birthday and a friend wrote a disgustingly long post on your Facebook wall to illustrate how much your friendship means to them. Despite the sincerity and thoughtfulness, frankly, the feeling is not mutual. You wouldn't reciprocate the favor and post this on their wall but you appreciate the gratitude. Replying with “Thanks. Means a lot” is the only logical move you can make without feeling like a sellout. It’s the least you can do in terms of response without compromising your passive aggressive emotions.

--Meaning Meter: 3/10

Tier 2: "Thank you. It means a lot."

This phrase ups in meaning from a casual "thanks" to a more gratuitous "thank you." It should be directed at the people who you kind of know and have had less than three meaningful conversations with.

You would say this to a friend you had in chemistry if they came to visit you at graduation. You weren’t expecting them to show up, but you’re glad they did. It can also be used if you made a post on Facebook about your cat dying and your former boss tried to cheer you up with words of encouragement. You have to keep it equal parts professional and gracious.

--Meaning Meter: 4.3/10

Tier 3: "Thanks. This means a lot."

This third tier phrase is tricky because it’s a classic conversational slight of hand. You’re dropping the formality “thank you” to “thanks", seemingly making it more casual, but it actually becomes a stronger message overall once you specify their action. Instead of saying “it” means a lot, you are directly calling out the activity they performed for you with “this.” By emphasizing the behavior itself, you’re acknowledging the time and energy they put into making you feel good about yourself. Tier 3s are reserved for the people in your life that you have an affinity for and they’ve done something to elevate the relationship to a whole other level. It is best used directly after the first time a friend goes the extra mile for you. For instance, if the two of you are riding bikes when you fall down and scrape your knee, and your friend tells you to sit tight while they go to 7-11 to get rubbing alcohol, band aids and ice cold Slurpees. That’s a grand gesture of kindness and probably one of the top 10 romantic friendship moments you may ever experience.

--Meaning Meter: 6.66/10

Tier 4: "Thank you so much. Means a lot."

Tier 4 has a complete lack of semantics. It’s straightforward, doesn't play games and leaves little to the imagination. Adding the superlative “so much” to an already formal “thank you” shows an intense amount of appreciation. For the second half of the phrase, you can just say “means a lot” without calling out their specific action because both parties will be on the same page of how meaningful what just occurred truly was.

One normally uses this phrase with someone they have a romantic interest with. This phrase is what I like to call a classic lead to kissy moment. In romcoms, this is the last line of dialogue before our main characters hit smooch city. This is usually the tipping point of a courting relationship that signifies to both parties, their feelings for each other are legitimate. The 4th tier is typically said after the salvation comes when you thought all hope was lost. For example, if you had a big work meeting and your car broke down, that special person in your life will drop whatever they’re doing in order to be your knight in shining armor. They’ll show up to save the day and the two of you will have a passionate kiss that seems to last an eternity. Hubba hubba.

--Meaning Meter: 8.1/10

5th and FINAL Tier: "From the bottom of my heart, thank you. Means a lot."

The 5th tier phrase is the most powerful iteration of “means a lot” ever assembled. This sentence can only be PROPERLY expressed a maximum of 2 times throughout the course of one's life. This sentence is the masterball of syntax. You can only bust out this sentence when you feel an emotion so raw and deep, that your nervous system has shaken you to the core. We’re talking a flashbulb memory that can either haunt you like a bad dream or serve as a beacon of pure nirvana. This phrase is typically said at the final stage of dread or the entrance of paradise.

For instance, if an ex-best friend who you've had a major falling out with, shows up to your mothers funeral. It's the ultimate collision of conflicting emotions. Elation and despair. Exuberance and sorrow.

OR if you’re fortunate enough to find your soulmate and marry them someday. When stating your vows, you will be so in awe of their being and personality that you find yourself crumbling at the idea of losing them. Thanking them from the bottom of your heart and showing them precisely how much they mean to you is the greatest achievement of the English language.

--Meaning Meter: 9.9/10