Is Fighting Climate Change My Responsibility?

The short answer? Yes.

7
Kimberley Davis

Global climate change is an issue that has been facing this planet for quite some time now. There is plenty of scientific data and physical proof that climate change exists and that it is causing a severe impact on the Earth. Despite this, many people have refused to accept the validity of climate change and its effects, including the President-elect and many of his proposed cabinet members. Donald Trump has tirelessly propagated the claim that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese, promised to dismantle the EPA, and has shortlisted politicians who have been vocal in their skepticism that climate change is a legitimate issue.

The United States alone uses nonrenewable fossil fuels to produce 81% of the energy consumed by its citizens. Our country is the second largest contributor to carbon emissions, behind China. However, when one breaks down the numbers per capita, it is clear that the United States far outshines China in terms of how much each individual citizen contributes to the issue. Furthermore, with the United States being arguably the most powerful country in the world, every other country looks to us for direction. While the signing of the Paris Agreement was a step in the right direction, the grim reality is that we are ushering in an administration that would like to undo all progress that has been made in the fight to combat climate change. In the recently debuted National Geographic documentary, "Before the Flood," Leonardo DiCaprio urges the United States government to take action in reducing our negative impact on the Earth. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that any such measures will take place in the years to come. Now, more than ever, it is up to us, as individual citizens of this planet, to strive for change.

So ice caps are melting, temperatures and sea levels are rising, and the occurrence of natural disasters is becoming more frequent - why should we care? It is difficult for us to understand how our everyday habits are producing negative consequences throughout our planet because more often than not, they are not affecting us directly. We have not personally experienced the destruction of islands on such a scale that renders them unlivable. We have not had our land flooded for so long a time that we cannot harvest our crops. We have not watched as our primary food source disappears before us. We suffer very little as the result of a major crisis to which we are the largest contributors.

So how do we improve? Let me start by being completely honest and saying it is not easy. It is, however, worth it. I have always wanted to better and make changes in my life to effectively reduce my negative impact on this earth, but I was never strict enough with myself to really stick to anything -- until this past week. Earlier in the article, I mentioned the documentary Before the Flood. The film didn't necessarily present many ideas I wasn't already aware of, but there was something about its presentation that made me look at the issue differently and sparked in me a desire to be truly conscientious in my effort to make a change.

The changes you make to your lifestyle in an effort to better protect our planet really depend on your current habits. For instance, I have completely cut red meat out of my diet and reduced the amount of poultry I consume -- something that has not proved too difficult for me as I never much of it anyway. Probably the biggest and most complicated change I have made is completely cutting out processed foods. The ingredients used in processed foods, particularly the oils, are the result of extensive deforestation, cleared by fires, which in turn results in massive air pollution.

If you want to make changes in an effort to reduce your impact on the planet, but don't know where to start, using an ecological footprint calculator is a great place to start. After answering the questions, it will tell you how many Earths and global acres it would take to support your lifestyle if everyone lived like you. It will break down exactly which parts of your lifestyle are most contributing to climate change and give you tips on how to change those habits and lessen your effects.

Remember, this planet is ours to live on, and therefore ours to take care of. If future generations are left without natural resources or proper means of survival, we have no one to blame but ourselves.